And it begins... again...

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Also, shame about the hoses and clamps, they won't go well with the "steampunk" effect - I would have used copper tubing and ferrules, would set it off nicely against the brass.
You can always wrap the bits of hose in leather, or even copper/brass wire.
Personally I think brass tubing looks better than copper, but the dull-iron look of brakeline is also acceptable for steampunk stuff.
You're going to use redundant brass-plated screws to attach those plates, right? :)
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:09 am

idk the maths but 1/2 inch pipe might be to big for a pump you cant lean on to get power. my shock pump is only like 8mm dia and its get hard to pump at 300-400psi. make sure you have good check valves on you pump as well, don't want to pull a btb
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:11 am

You can buy a pneumatic airgun pump that goes to 3,000psi. They are a couple hundred dollars, but they can be used for filling the cannon, or maybe even you can use an HPA tank onboard and use the airgun pump to refill that.

Check this pump out. Looks like a bike pump, cost 200 bucks, and goes to over 3300psi!

http://www.airgundepot.com/air-venturi- ... p-pcp.html

HPA tanks aren't that much, maybe 50 bucks for some.
Matt_NZ
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 am

Moonbogg wrote:goes to over 3300psi!
But wouldn't it get extremely hard if not impossible to pump to those pressures?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 am

Used HPA pump for just $100

Don't you hate it when you look up pumps on eBay and the search turns up friggin' SHOES! gah!
Matt_NZ wrote:But wouldn't it get extremely hard if not impossible to pump to those pressures?
Not really, it takes time but the effort isn't so bad. Ideally what you would do is not empty the tank then refill it, but fire a couple of shots then use the pump to top it up.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 am

Matt_NZ wrote:
Moonbogg wrote:goes to over 3300psi!
But wouldn't it get extremely hard if not impossible to pump to those pressures?
I don't think so. They are made for airguns so they ought to work at least fairly well to those pressures or close to them.
ThornsofTime
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Another update for you guys before I hit the bed...

@lozz08- laziness won... or rather... when I told the wife how much it all was adding up to... she said NO to the on-board pump... note the schrader valve on the right side of the gun :( oh well... theres always next build.

So... after yet another re-design... and some parts having FINALLY arrived in the mail... I present to you... WORKING PIPES!!! (barrel in background, unscrewed)

Im pretty happy with its overall preformance so far. I only took it up to 120psi just to see if it would shoot.... and shoot it did. Eventually planing on taking her to ~250psi

Two shots taken at 20 yards... two direct hits... target was basically the size of a paper plate. Shooting into 1" thick red wood.... NOT PLYWOOD OR PARTICLE BOARD!!! Its whisper quiet too... pumped it to 120psi and shot it inside the house (wasn't loaded... naturally) to see if it was holding air... baby 30feet away didn't wake up :D :D :D
Attachments
SECOND SHOT ever taken with this launcher
SECOND SHOT ever taken with this launcher
FIRST SHOT ever taken with this launcher
FIRST SHOT ever taken with this launcher
Right side of the launcher
Right side of the launcher
Left side of the launcher
Left side of the launcher
^(O_o)> Hi there
>(O_o)># I made you this waffle!
>(O_o)># then I remembered you were a dick.
(>#<) So I ate it.
ThornsofTime
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Before anyone asks... the blowgun sticking out the back is being relocated inside the body of the rifle... just stuck it there to see if I could get it to fire ;)

Or... maybe ill just throw a curve-ball... and re-design the wood too... make it a monster pistol... swashbuckler style (STEAMPUNK swashbuckler style that is).

HOW DID I GET HERE... WHAT IS THIS... WHAT AM I DOING...
Jesus I change ma mind too damn much...
^(O_o)> Hi there
(>#<) So I ate it.
maverik94
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:50 pm

You did go a bit overboard with the fittings, but if you're going for aesthetics as well I suppose it's justified. I should work nicely.
Yeah, you'd just rather he cast everything in epoxy right? :)
"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThornsofTime
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 pm

@SpudBlaster15- yeah I agree...and now that I have confirmation that everything works well there is really no reason to change it. The barrel is going to be sleeved in 3/4" copper tubing. Makes it look sexy as hell.

SIDE BONUS- the spongy grip thing that came on the blowgun barrel is a PERFECT fit... sliding onto the barrel and squeezing into the 3/4" copper sleeve... did someone say "full-length silencer"????
^(O_o)> Hi there
(>#<) So I ate it.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:28 pm

ThornsofTime wrote:wife
ThornsofTime wrote:baby
:shock:

Surprised you managed to find the time to draw it up, let alone put it together :roll: :wink:

If the wife will let you spend $30 on a shock pump, 400 psi is possible, and if you can pick up a scrap fridge compressor 600 psi+ beckons without the effort of pumping ;)
did someone say "full-length silencer"?
I have in the past and I'll say it again, go for it ;) especially if you'll be moving to higher pressures
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

If the wife will let
make sure you won't end up in the same situation :D
I am telling you this just in case...
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Looks good man, I say reconfigure the fittings and leave out the stock and all, cause brass fitting always look amazing on their own.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:02 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:make sure you won't end up in the same situation :D
I am telling you this just in case...
On the brink :? she made it clear she wants 5 kids, wouldn't mind a little help round the workshop but I'll be damned if I don't buy a new batch of epoxy because I've spent the money on diapers ;)