Rifled copper barrel

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:51 am

Want to tell us how you will do it again in this thread?

With alli tubign the walls are ussually thicker, so i think woder and deeper grooves may be possible...
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
ThegunGuy
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:14 am

Ragnarok wrote:
john bunsenburner wrote:I agree to making the grooves deeper and wider.
I don't. Copper already has very thin walls, so a groove can only be so deep without seriously compromising strength.
I said to sleeve it and cut the rifling in for max accuracy.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:10 am

john bunsenburner wrote:Want to tell us how you will do it again in this thread?
Well, I've said it quite a few times before. But anyway, I'm working on an idea to cut lands using a piece of 20mm OD pipe, which will then get soldered inside the 20.2-20.3mm ID copper I use.
The actual soldering will be tricky, but I've figured a way to go about it.

I've yet to confirm the twist I'll use for the test barrel, but I guess around 10 rad m<sup>-1</sup> is likely.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 am

Yes the soldering does sound hard. Why not thread the entire lengths of both pipe, and just screw it in? Sounds easier than soldering.
Last edited by john bunsenburner on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
Carlman
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:45 am

hah a suuup :shock: :D 8)
Aussie spudders unite!!
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:Sounds easier than soldering.
Threading over a metre of barrel easier than soldering? I doubt it.

Anyway, it can't possibly work. The lands will be 6 individual spirals, so half the surface area of the inside barrel will still be exposed. If I had threaded the outer layer of the barrel, then the threads will at worst be rubbing against the projectile (the specifics will vary*), and at best causing flow restriction.

*Depending on the projectile and "chambering" it'll swage some projectiles, and obturate others.

Also, threading weakens the pipe.
john bunsenburner
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Alright, good luck solderign over a meter of pipe!
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:11 pm

The soldering doesn't need to be done along the whole length at the same time. With the way I'm doing it, I can just start at one end and move down.

Alternatively, if I'm feeling in a silly mood, I'll just set up the whole barrel as a pulse jet chamber and simultaneously solder the whole length.