Need help,casting resin

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
andrew67
Private 3
Private 3
Australia

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Can anyone help with casting resin? I'm about to do a casting resin cast that needs to be 3cm thick,it'ss recommended to do the cast in 5cm layers,if I do that is the cast likely to break the layers when I drill it?or has anyone done a cast that thick in one pour?if so what mixing ratio do you recommend?also is a timber mould ok to cast in and what should I use for a mould release?
Thanks for any help
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:20 am

Do you need this cast to hold pressure? Or is it just aesthetic? I've personally done an inch and half thick pour, but I used about a gallon of the stuff I was using. Just make sure you use the recommend ratio of the casting compound you use, and mix it slowly for a bubble-less, clear cast
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:13 am

Are you casting a projectile?
also is a timber mould ok to cast in and what should I use for a mould release?

It wouldn't be my first choice, you have to make sure it's properly sealed.

As to mould release, I've used almost anything slippery over the years - automotive grease, KY Jelly, butter, olive oil...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
andrew67
Private 3
Private 3
Australia

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks for the help,but no not a projectile,but yes it will be holding pressure,it,s an 8*3*3cm block to hold pipes that hold the majority of the pressure,I tried to epoxy 3, 1cm thick Perspex together but that was very temperamental when it was being drilled,I also can't find anyone that supplies plastic blocks that thick,I could use an aluminum block but I don't know where I can buy it locally,thanks for your help I had an idea it would be you to reply!thanks again,I'll let you know how I go!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:48 am

Why not have the pipes in there directly and cast around them, saving you the effort of drilling?

I usually make moulds out of foam/plastic sheet/cardboard, anything thin, workable and non-porous, herewith some examples:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:00 am

This guy has great reputation with me. Exact Metals.
andrew67
Private 3
Private 3
Australia

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 pm

That's exactly what I wanted to do,but I thought I'd get to much leakage between the mould and pipes so I hadn't thought about it much,I've made one cast successfully,I'll try what you've done next.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:33 am

andrew67 wrote:I thought I'd get to much leakage between the mould and pipes so I hadn't thought about it much
Just make sure you apply araldite or similar 15 minute epoxy to all the joins and you should be fine. If in doubt, you can always pour water in first before the casting resin, to check for leaks. Just make sure you dry it off very well before adding the actual resin.
andrew67
Private 3
Private 3
Australia

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:38 am

Ok thanks for all the help ,I'll keep you posted.