sprinkler valve help

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:52 am

I am in the middle of making a 2" piston valve gb cannon. Everything looking good but when I put pressure in the cannon the sprinkler valve lets the air through with no resistence (almost as if it is open). The valve is modded for blowgun triggering, and yes the flow arrows are pointing in the direction of venting.

Wondering if maybe the valve is "normally open", or something like that? Any help would be appreciated!

Also I would attach some pics but I'd have to crop them so small to get them under 1mb that it would be pointless
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Check all the sealing faces in the valve make sure they are clean. What are you using for a air source? Your typical sprinkler valve should seal at around 30 psi.
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Checked immediately when it didn't work that everything was clean. Air source is a compressor @ 100psi.

I tried covering the opening with my hand in case it needed some back pressure to initiate but that didn't do anything.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 am

Where are you filling from? Sprinkler valves typically need to be "shocked" into sealing.

Have you tried filling through the "trigger" blowgun?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Here's some pics.. Muchos thanks for the help
Attachments
Filling station with sprinkler valve and trigger. Cap on where the piston housing normally is.
Filling station with sprinkler valve and trigger. Cap on where the piston housing normally is.
Close up of the valve. Mixed way more epoxy than necessary when modding so I just slapped it on top of the housing for extra support.
Close up of the valve. Mixed way more epoxy than necessary when modding so I just slapped it on top of the housing for extra support.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Some times the adapter will be scewed to far in and be touching the diaphram holding it open...
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 pm

I tried to make sure it was only in enough to be just poking through the plastic, but if it is in fact too far I guess it's garbage now lol... I'll try putting air through the blowgun tonight like jsr suggested. That doesn't work it's looking like a ball valve trigger for now
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Got it working!! For some reason it wasn't equalizing, so I put some pressure into the top half while putting pressure into it like normal. After that it seemed like the diaphragm had been "freed" and now it works great. Thanks again all!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:57 am

Could it be that some epoxy seeped through when you were filling the solenoid pilot hole and was keeping the diaphragm from sealing?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Trauts
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 am

I double checked that it was totally cleaned up, but maybe running air through it cleaned it out. It just seemed like it just didn't want to equalize for some reason