Easy to Make Darts with Easy to Find Parts for 6mm Barrels

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
qyuubi786
Private
Private

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm

I've made a small rubber powered dart gun that is based on one of Joergspraves slingshots from the Slingshot Channel. I wanted to have some ammunition that is easy to make and is relatively cheap. So I made these:
IMG_20180826_191519.jpg
IMG_20180826_191525.jpg
I bought some cheap cotton swabs (Paper shafted), some screws and some heat-shrink tubing.

The cotton swabs were cut in half making two darts, the ends were then carved to a slight point with a knife, to allow it to stick into the screw. The heat shrink I used is too long so it was cut in half and placed over both the two screws and the shafts. A heat gun was then used to shrink it together forming a strong bond.

The cotton will start to degrade after a few shots needing to be re-twisted back onto the shaft. After 8 or so shots per dart the cotton starts to effects accuracy. At this point the shaft can easily be removed by pulling it, whilst holding the heat shrink tubing with your nails. You can then insert a new shaft and keep shooting (once you've made your first darts there is no need to carve the ends of the shafts).
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:55 am

Interesting little device - does the the rubber push on the projectile directly or does it use a piston to compress the air behind it?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
qyuubi786
Private
Private

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Interesting little device - does the the rubber push on the projectile directly or does it use a piston to compress the air behind it?
It used to be a bike pump, it uses the bike pump piston. It is drawn with the three finger draw a common technique in archery.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Nice, reminds me of one of my first projects :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Nice, reminds me of one of my first projects :)
Cute project!