ferocrete

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
boilingleadbath
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:13 pm

Skip to third paragraph if you'r impatient.
Ok, so I was reading through a list of 'mythical' materials made up by fiction wrighters, and I came accros this jewl: ferocrete. Aparently Lucas has it being used to make spacecraft & fortresses in starwars...

The reason a non-existant material intrests me is that reason would dictate that something with iorn in it would be HEAVY. As such, it would make an nice moldable ammo material.

The idea: take cement, add BBs. Remember to really shove those bbs into that cememt - the idea here is to get the highest density possible, and steel is heavier than cement. Assuming a packing ratio of .8, (somewhere between face centered and body centered) the density of the ferocrete should be about 6.8 grams/cm^3. That's about 2.7 as dense as cement.
Then, put in mold. Let it cure, and viola, really heavy and hard material in any shape you want.

I'm planning on filling a mini axe can with it, once my brother uses it up. If you put a bit of computer paper as wadding, it fits fairly well in 1.5". The steel bottle should add strength to the ferocrete.

*note to Lucas Entertainment (r): Please don't sue me!*
yuandrew
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:06 pm

Ferrocrete?

Sounds like Cement (Concrete) and iron mixed together. Probably peices of metal

This sounds like a weapon considering the material used so watch out what you shoot at, this will go through a house wall or car door.
neilman88
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:59 pm

hey does concrete work if u make it into a ball?
boilingleadbath
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:27 pm

I'v heard that concrete crumbles apon impact, even from throwing it... but it's quite likely that the individual who used it either got the mix wrong, and/or didn't wait for it to cure compleatly. (which takes a week or two)

And an update on this:
After posting this on the spudtech forums, someone responded saying that concrete doesn't bond very well to smooth metal. One could change the idea to use epoxy as the matrix, but now you are up to .75$ /100 grams... nearly as costly as steel balls from mcmaster.