"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
MrCrowley

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:You're very, very good at this.
:D :D :D

btw, there's a written interview in english linked in the description for that Russian breasts video
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:On a slightly less clear note,

:shock:

[youtube][/youtube]

Seriously, :shock:
My guess...

Peltier elements and heating coils in each tile to change temperature on demand.

Check ambient temp, adjust to match. Use a crapload of energy.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Hotwired wrote:My guess...

Peltier elements and heating coils in each tile to change temperature on demand.

Check ambient temp, adjust to match. Use a crapload of energy.
From a BAE announcement:
On-board cameras pick up the background scenery and display that infra-red image on the vehicle, allowing even a moving tank to match its surroundings. Alternatively, it can mimic another vehicle or display identification tags, reducing the risk of fratricide.

BAE engineers are currently focused on making ADAPTIV capable of defeating the infrared detection equipement. The company, however, soon expects to begin making a version of ADAPTIV capable of rendering a vehicle invisible during daylight.

Current work focuses mainly on the infra-red spectrum, as this is most important to the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration (FMV), which funds part of the work. However, BAE Systems engineers have combined the pixels with other technologies, which provide camouflage in other parts of the electro-magnetic spectrum at the same time to provide all-round stealth, which will be developed further over the next few years.

Project manager, Peder Sjölund explains: “Earlier attempts at similar cloaking devices have hit problems because of cost, excessive power requirements or because they were insufficiently robust. Our panels can be made so strong that they provide useful armour protection and consume relatively low levels of electricity, especially when the vehicle is at rest in ‘stealth recce’ mode and generator output is low.”
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

JSR,
I saw the article for that video on slashdot...
It only operates in infra-red wavelengths, though I guess it's still a pretty neat idea.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/09 ... lage-Cloak

Slashdot is better than most other tech news sites rating by the user comments alone.

edit; Oh, there was another page of off-topic I missed.
my bad :?
MrCrowley

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 pm

You don't have to be from America to find this and this funny :D
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm

They could intergrate a camera into each module, the camera on the opposing side tells a screen what to do. Close enough to active camoflage in visible spectra.

Clever idea, they just need to implement my idea and a suitable quantity of PETN or some other usably sensitive HE behind it. Active camoflage and reactive armor in the one modular unit.
JSR will say

The active camoflage would render the reactive armor redundant. That's why snipers with ghillie suits don't have II or IIA body armor.
If you can't see it, you can't hit it.

Like women
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 pm

They could intergrate a camera into each module, the camera on the opposing side tells a screen what to do. Close enough to active camoflage in visible spectra.
Ah, remind me the Invisible Aston Martin in Bond's Die Another Day. Exactly what Q did :D

Of course it can't work from 2 different point of view, but who cares it's a Bond movie...
I HAZ A BANG!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 am

Zeus wrote:If you can't see it, you can't hit it.

Like women
Are you suggesting that pleasures of the flesh cannot be enjoyed at night unless one is wearing IR/NV goggles (sweet...), or if one is blind?

:D

I like the way it can be used to spell stuff out, one can picture a British tank battalion advancing with a massive "ÇUNT" proudly emblazoned on the side of each vehicle :D

This sort of stuff will come in useful when the war with China comes :) although how long before the Taliban hook one of these up to an RPG?
I saw the article for that video on slashdot...
Spotted on defensetech.org, another site I follow almost daily.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 am

MrCrowley wrote:Since the trip from the ferry terminal to my house takes about a minute, on occasion I don't wear my seat belt as a passenger...
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but this tidbit seems especially relevant to you. So really, there's no reason to not be wearing a seatbelt in a moving vehicle.
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I like the way it can be used to spell stuff out.....
Might be a great way to help finance war. It could be sold for corporate advertising space..... "MARLBORO", "Drink Coca-Cola" or "GE...We bring good things to life". :lol:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am

velocity3x wrote:"GE...We bring good things to life"
They do :)
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

I wonder when they will adapt it to visible for daylight use. Then they can use panels from Chicken Little.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm

So apparantly our beloved troll face is racist. Seriously. I live about 7 miles from Kirtland.
http://lastangryfan.com/2011/09/you-ma ... imidation/

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/2011 ... share_copy

Wanna read something actually racist? read some of the youtube comments!
[youtube][/youtube]
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 pm

@ramses
[trollin]
U racisitism scam how there u post stuff like dat
[/trollin]

:D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 am

I am fiddeling with a small program, called powder toy. I have showed it before.

It might be useful to simulate air flow.
A screen shot;

On the left you can see the program running, and on the right a simulation from SIMPLE-TS. found here.

You can download the powder toy here.