"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

We have a ~9.7kw axial flux hub motor. The car weighs approximately 500 lbs. I do not have acceleration data at this time, but we do have quite a few safety regulations. Full roll cage, 6 point harness, fully redundant braking system, crumple zones, crash safety from all sides, ability to get out in 10 seconds,etc.

By the way, I am not advocating a tiny little solar car as the way of the future. I am only referencing it because it is my only serious exposure to electric vehicles and large battery packs.

We do have a good bit of instrumentation, including automated battery monitoring, the usual stuff, array performance. We will soon be adding accelerometer, GPS (Hopefully survey grade), and more thermal sensors. It is all transmitted over high power 900mhz transmitter.

I agree that 'comfort' systems would definitely be very significant parasitic losses. The vehicle itself is not comfort oriented at all.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 am

I like how you're sponsored by post-it. Do you decelerate by covering sections of the panel with sticky notes :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:02 am

Here is a video I made on removing fridge compressor from fridges
[youtube][/youtube]
Not sure if everything is clear - should have written down everything I say first but anyway... hope it helps some of you
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Post-it is the brand-name that 3M wants us to promote. We don't use post-its much, but they do give us shit-tons of electrical tape, sandpaper, and epoxy (maybe 10 gallons). I will say that the stuff that comes in these syringes is amazing. There is a caulk gun type dispenser for them and is mixed in the nozzle (which is, as far as I can tell, a luer lock type connection)
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 am

I've considered using one of those nozzles to mix fuel and air with a metered air and fuel delivery to fill the chamber while venting spent gas out the barrel somewhat like a 2 stroke engine on a full auto combustion design.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... x/2554045/

Lol I guess that's not what she expected...

Hate to admit it but our laws regarding rape as just as severe and outdated as theirs - but for men
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:Hate to admit it but our laws regarding rape as just as severe and outdated as theirs - but for men
Well, that's progress for you.

Many people will tell you that liberating women is what brings about prosperity. I think it's the other way round, it's when you live in a prosperous society that the banal first world problems claimed by feminists can be afforded credence.

[youtube][/youtube]
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
CS

Donating Members

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Tech,
I've kept that idea of yours in the back of my mind. Those syringes maybe accessible to you in which case whatever, but steel wool would be another means of turbulence.

I suppose the hang up I see in it all is sealing the chamber piston. If the piston is sealed dynamically as I first envisioned it, that calls for something more then a typical o-ring.

Another route is to have all the seals be static, basically... The chamber piston being sealed under friction, enough to handle the slight pressure of exhausting. The chamber piston would however seat at the fully open stage and that seal would handle the pre-combustion mix.

Insane how much time I've tried figuring this one out.
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:42 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
POLAND_SPUD wrote:Hate to admit it but our laws regarding rape as just as severe and outdated as theirs - but for men
Well, that's progress for you.

Many people will tell you that liberating women is what brings about prosperity. I think it's the other way round, it's when you live in a prosperous society that the banal first world problems claimed by feminists can be afforded credence.

[youtube][/youtube]
What a fantastic video, my friend and I discuss this all the time!

I think my political ideology differs from his, based on other videos, but he presents things in ways that really makes sense.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:47 pm

yup that video is fantastic...

and remember never to have coitus with feminists - it only takes one generation to eradicate retardation :D
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:ypu that video is fantastic...

and remember never to have coitus with feminists - it only takes one generation to eradicate retardation :D
Yeah well there's no such thing as sex with a feminist - there's only rape! :?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:04 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:and remember never to have coitus with feminists - it only takes one generation to eradicate retardation :D
Doesn't really work though does it... Idiots have given birth to smart kids, and vice versa. For things to change, society has to collapse. When it gets back on its feet, I'm betting the same cycle will repeat itself.
MrCrowley

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

You guys really should read r/TumblrInAction, it's one of the few things that can cheer me up after seeing things like this

Some great comments about that photo:
I really hope the baby turns out to be the world's most masculine, sports loving, male-identified boy the world has ever seen. Just to piss off the snowflakes.
But if that were the case then it would only be because he was raised to be that way by the Patriarchy.
But... if he's male... he IS the patriarchy. He's literally oppressing himself with his own privilege!
Though the best part about that subreddit is everyone's 'flair' title mocking the ridiculous terms radfems identify with (in feminist subreddits, they use a flair title so others know how to refer to them without being offensive):
  • "Transatlantic"
    "Alka-Seltzer-kin. Preferred pronouns: plop, plop, fizz, fizz"
    "I whip my privilege back and forth"
    "Spousesexual - only has sex with spouse"
    "Brother from Another Mother-kin"
    "8.9 on the Privilege Scale"
    "Burger-Kin: have it MY way"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:21 am

MrCrowley wrote:You guys really should read r/TumblrInAction, it's one of the few things that can cheer me up after seeing things like this
:shock:

Are... are those twitter messages not sarcastic?

They must be. The vast majority of them at least.

Are you telling me that some people have completely missed the unbelievable and completely farcical hysteria about a "royal baby" in 20 bloody 13, and the one thing that bothers them is that gender roles?

MrCrowley

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:17 am

I assure you that for any of those messages that are sarcastic, there are more than enough sincere messages to fill their place.

r/TumblrInAction mainly mocks tumblr blogs but, from what I've seen, they're a lot worse than those twitter messages so I don't really have a hard time believing their validity at all.

It's actually really unfortunate in many cases because the girls (or god-knows-what they want to be called) are often in their early teens and are just following the examples set by older people. They don't have a chance to critically think about what they're saying and once they're hooked on the idea it is difficult for them to see things from another perspective.

Have a look at the whole 'thin privilege' crap, it uses exactly the same kind of reasoning as RadFems and you wonder how people can fall for its arguments. It's funny when they get annoyed and make a post about how their doctor was discriminating against them because he said their weight or diet might have something to do with their problems (often things like trouble breathing, headaches, fatigue, etc).