Ragnarok's art projects

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:50 pm

... Define "too low".

The proximal end obviously has to start below the deltoid, which typically "ends" slightly below the level of the arm pit - and I'd say that's about right.

The distal end is possibly a little too close to the elbow, but referring to my own arm, not dramatically (even allowing for the differences in musculature between the sexes).

I suspect the issue is more likely an error with the deltoid curving too low over the biceps, giving the triceps an apparently odd shape.

Either way, thanks.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:08 am

If the elbow was at 90 degrees it would be in the right place.Most mass of the triceps is located above the middle.
With the arm extended the bulge travels up.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:47 am

Looking good Rag- Can really tell how much work you put into them.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm afraid there's no upload for you this time around, but I figured I might as well muse over a possible art project.

I am considering doing a comic for a while. While this is largely because I think it'll really push and improve my art skills, I've wanted to do a comic for... well, years, really.

I've already got most of the details lined up (the story is one of a number of narrative ideas I've had and put away for later development over the last few years), I think I have the skills to at least make a valiant effort, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a shiny new graphics tablet in the next few weeks.

So, depending on the limits of my willpower, it's possible you'll start to see something of a webcomic in the future.
Part of the reason I mention it is that I may well need badgering to keep it going. It's going to be the biggest and hardest art project I've yet undertaken, and it's not even going to be the only art project I'll have going much of the time. I've still got plans to have another six miniatures sculpted for the end of April.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey that'd be awesome! I think a cartoon would be cool, albeit extremely time consuming
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:50 am

Spudcartoons! :D
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Sorry, it's going to be a serious narrative, rather than an attempts at humour. I'm certain that my rather unique sense of humour wouldn't transfer very well to a comic - anyway, I doubt I could keep it up for all that long.
Humour comics often tend end up shifting into a more dramatic and continuous plot, a transition often known as "Cerebus* syndrome", or they start making the same jokes over and over.
*No, I don't mean Cerberus.

And I don't really want to be yet another victim of that. If I'm starting, I'm starting with a serious and sensible plot.
But there will be violence, firearms, conflict, evil plots and women in the place of mass attempts at humour - possibly also Pink Floyd references.*
*I have a habit of putting the odd one in my stories, in something of a tribute to an author who occasionally does the same.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:17 pm

I've not really done much serious art lately (a number of sketches, which can be found in my dA gallery if you are interested), but here's one more involved piece I have done:

1/30th Female Commissar sculpt

Most of the work was done in one seven day period. A forum was running a weekly art challenge, and I just woke up the day after it was set utterly determined to sculpt an entry for it.
The normal method of entry is casual sketches, I should note.

To date, she's still without a name...

In case you're wondering about the colour change, this was a new putty, ProCreate (yes, it really is called that...) rather than the Green Stuff I've used in the past.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, I'm still doing art every now and again. A work in progress here:

http://ragnarokeotw.deviantart.com/art/ ... -160066281
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Noo!!! Don't push him off!!!
That looks really good.

Btw I forgot to say before but I love your new sig...
Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:25 pm

deathbyDWV wrote:Noo!!! Don't push him off!!!
I'd like to say he was a bad person, but if I'm honest, she's a pretty bad person too.
That looks really good.
Well, I try. Lots more work still to come.
Btw I forgot to say before but I love your new sig...
Well, I have a variable track record with signatures - there was the time I picked a very ill-advised one which may be one of the reasons why we have very few Germans on the forums.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 am

Yes, I am still sticking with the art - full colour piece this time.

http://ragnarokeotw.deviantart.com/art/ ... -165124793
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 am

Wish I had an Angel, eh? Great song.

Looks pretty good. What program are you using for your color rendering, and are you familiar with cell shading?

http://gaderelguitarist.deviantart.com/

I do a lot of cell shading in photoshop, and while it may not be your cup of tea, it certainly gives striking results. [/url]
so many muchness
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon May 24, 2010 10:41 am

Gaderelguitarist wrote:What program are you using for your color rendering, and are you familiar with cell shading?
Photoshop... strictly Photoshop Elements, because when I bought it, I was only expecting to do minor things. Had I known that I'd be using it more seriously, I might have invested in a more serious version - but Elements will still do this kind of thing easily.

I am familiar with cell shading, but my art is still mostly in the stage where I'm just messing around and trying out different things - I haven't really got around to defining "my style" yet.
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh wow. I have to give you kudos for dealing with photoshop elements. I use CS4 :).

Style is weird. Its something that you will continue to develope as you work at it more and more. It's not just your ideas and depictions, its also how you go about presenting those ideas and depictions to the viewer, as well as how you craft the image or piece. Every time I do an illustration, I like to think that I'm improving my approach to whatever it is I'm doing.
so many muchness