Ragnarok's art projects

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Anywho, another piece of artistic whatsit in progress. Needs work - and I do know what most of that work is (a bit too much bulk and a few of the muscles are out), but it's waiting until tomorrow.

Although I recognise that many people won't particularly like it, I've long seen my character Silva to be well described by the statement "muscle and metal". A lot of her is bionic (so she's heavy), and she's one hell of an action heroine (so she's active) - like it or not, that kind of combination does actually require some muscle.

That said, I am working on trying to get her to appear both reasonably feminine and muscled. Things like making the shoulders and ribcage about 10% narrower than they should strictly be seems to have helped.

Still, even so, most people probably won't find her all that attractive, but... well, you'll probably find me odd for saying this, but of the characters I've created, she's still the one I find most attractive.
Yes, I'd take the muscled cyborg who doesn't even have two matching eyes listed amongst her virtues over those characters possessing conventional beauty. (That said, some of those "conventional beauties" are borderline psychopaths, so not the best choices.)

But that's not why - it's that over the years I've been drawing her, she's developed a real personality. Savvy, wonderful use of sarcasm, and quick witted - and somehow, despite being within my own head, actually quicker and wittier than I am (I often borrow her comments, not that she can do all that much about it).

...you may find that ridiculous but, fortunately, I've never claimed to be sane.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 am

Okay, here's something new. Ever wondered what it's like travelling up the Thames at 400 miles an hour?

Well, even if you haven't, here's vaguely what it would be like. Timelapse done with CHDK, about 3000 photos all in all.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Anyway, here's some lineart.

Special line art, as it's the first time that I've done any of my art solely digitally - no sketching it out on paper, no scanning it in... just done with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. (Which I have finally got working properly.)

A bit of a learning experience, drawing in one place and having it appear somewhere else (not to mention the size difference between screen and tablet means the pen and cursor move at different rates) - but not a bad first attempt I think.

Eventually, I'll turn this into a full digital painting (i.e. not quite my normal "comic-esque" style... I'll be attempting for a higher degree of realism.)
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Er... forgot to put this up some time ago. Coloured and adjusted version of above.

Not what I said I'd do with it - I said I'd do a proper painting rather than just a colouration, but I had other things to get on with and didn't have the spare time.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:59 pm

(cccombo breaker)

Really, I'm just posting here to let you know some of us still take interest in what you do(I do anyway...:)

I can't think of anything useful to add as far as improvements that wouldn't be nitpicking. Most people here probably do not have the eye for critiquing professional-level(yes, you can be considered that IMO) renderings unless there's something blatantly wrong the artist has overlooked.

That being said, I think your colorized version might look good with a slight gradient on the light-skin layer. I don't know what your intended level of 'mutant' is, but a transition from skin color to a faded green/blue/whatever would definitely add to it.

Ragnarok wrote:...you may find that ridiculous but, fortunately, I've never claimed to be sane.
Also, I wanted to let you know I don't think you are that weird. I wish there were more people today that have your type/level of weirdness... it would certainly make the world more interesting. I suppose the truth is most people do have the capacity, but, due to the herd mentality, tend to keep it bottled rather than use it for creative purposes.
(I too am guilty. Maybe I just haven't found a good medium.)
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 pm

I will actually say something in critique of the last posting, actually. Just a newbie comment, really, that it is difficult to tell which foot is in front of the other. To fix such... yeah. I wouldn't bother if I were you. It's probably pretty obvious to you, the creator.

I do like the Thames time lapse... of all the places I've been in London I've never been on the Thames.

Yes, I do actually follow this thread, I just didn't see that post when it was added.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Fnord wrote:Really, I'm just posting here to let you know some of us still take interest in what you do
Whoo! Not that I do it because I'm looking for other people to be interested, but it's certainly a bonus.
professional-level (yes, you can be considered that IMO) renderings
I'm flattered, but I'm not sure I can agree. Sure, I'm improving, but I really haven't got the artistic intuition of a professional yet. Maybe one day, but I think there's a while to go before then.
I don't know what your intended level of 'mutant' is, but a transition from skin color to a faded green/blue/whatever would definitely add to it.
I had thought about that, but the thing is, she's already at risk of appearing alien rather than mutant, and non-human skin tones could result in the wrong outcome.

Besides, it's not an idea that gels that well with me anyway. I have some odd set of rules (which even I don't understand) about what breaks from reality are "acceptable" and which I'd rather avoid.
saefroch wrote:I will actually say something in critique of the last posting, actually. Just a newbie comment, really, that it is difficult to tell which foot is in front of the other.
Er... I'm not sure I can see what you're on about there.

I would have said that the foot positioning was pretty unambiguous. After all, her right leg crosses in front of her left leg, so I can't see quite how it's possible to interpret the positioning of her feet any differently.
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Although I was not confused about which foot was in front, I can now see what saefroch meant, it does seem to me as if the left foot and knee are turned slightly too far anti-clockwise.

I do like the digital drawing, did you find it easier to get the final result you wanted using the tablet ?
I've found it quite weird to use at first, but the unlimited use of the erasing at any time without damaging the work does help quite a bit.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Looking at the positioning her torso and hips, it seems apparent which foot ought to be more in the foreground, but when the eyes focus just on on the feet, it seems like either could be in front. Then when one looks her legs as a whole... they seem to be flip-flopping, and twisting to make the left foot appear in front of the right foot, but the right hip in front of the left hip.

The only way that I can see to fix this it to clearly place the left foot behind the right foot. Just the way the toe of the left boot fits into the contour of the right ankle makes it seem odd...
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Lots of photograph's from this year's anoraking...

Gallery of Severn Valley Railway Autumn Steam Gala 2010
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Pretty Cool steam engines there!
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 pm

*Puts on best Glados voice*

It's been a long time.

~~~~~

Something new. This one is somewhat NSFW, as it features mild nudity (although no naughty bits are on show) - and actually the first time I've drawn any of my characters nude since I took up art as a hobby four and a bit years ago.

As it's marked as mature content, you'll only be able to follow this link if you've got a deviantART account.

However, there is this link directly to the picture file, although it doesn't have the commentary.
But who am I kidding? You don't care about the commentary - you just want to see naked ladies.
sumisukyo
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes it has and congrats on the works :D
added you to deviant watch keep up the good work :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Ragnarok wrote:you just want to see naked ladies.
Strange ladies you have in your part of the UK... Are you David Icke in disguise :shock: :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:11 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Strange ladies you have in your part of the UK...
Hey - she may have a tail, but that doesn't mean she deserves your discrimination.
She's a nice person who can't help her physical abnormalities.
Are you David Icke in disguise?
That tosser? I hope not.