Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.

What avatar website was your favorite? (if you looked)

50%
No votes
50%

Total votes: 2
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:06 pm

I have had some people ask me to make them an avatar or find them one because they couldn't find websites that supplied cool/funny avatars. Well i was sort of getting annoyed with all of the requests so i decided to post some of my favorites for anybody to use. I will also include a list of links to some sites that supply decent avatars.

Here are the links:

1. http://avatars.jurko.net/
2. http://www.coolavatars.net/funny_avatars.html
3. http://www.forumsextreme.com/
4. http://www.avatarsdb.com/funny/

And here are some of my favorite avatars i have saved over the past years:
(use any as your own if you wish, i don't mind).
Attachments
avatar0219.gif (23.05 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
avatar0217.gif (26.81 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
avatar0207.gif (7.77 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
avatar0179.gif (18.36 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
avatar0164.gif (20.34 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 pm

some of them turned out much larger then they actually are. I'm not sure how to fix that so I will just leave them up for now until i can figure out how to fix them.
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
Big Boom
Private 2
Private 2

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:45 pm

If you click on them, they are small.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Actually, only one of those avatars you've attached is within forum size limits.

To be honest, I block a large number of animated avatars. I find a lot of them are simply annoying or repetitive, not to mention large file size wise - which even if you're on a fast connection, still acts to slow things up.

Avatars aren't there to try and be funny, they're to help you be more identifiable - they're like your "forum face".
(Which means I really don't get "rotating" avatars, where people have hosting that swaps them over for every different page load).

People simply remember images more readily than user names. For example, from these images, almost anyone who's been around a while could easily tell me who most of them were (if you don't know, I've linked the images to their profiles):
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image

Animated or rotating avatars are far less effective.

Indeed, I've changed my avatars all of twice in all of the time I've been on forums, and the second change was deliberately obvious.
People who've been around for long enough might recognise the source images (I've long since lost track of my avatar files):

I'm in no hurry to change again, because I have absolutely no reason to and my current avatar is just "me". It's also now extremely well known.

I'm ranting again, but I'm not exactly wrong. In my opinion, pick a inanimate avatar (which isn't offensive, annoying or disturbing, and preferably without text) and stick with it. You'll be remembered better.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
frankrede
Sergeant Major 2
Sergeant Major 2

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Oh thatsa me!
Current project: Afghanistan deployment
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:06 pm

frankrede wrote:Oh thatsa me!
Gorramit, how could you tell? :D
TurboSuper
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I still can't seem to get an avatar image to work.
"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
frankrede wrote:Oh thatsa me!
Gorramit, how could you tell? :D
Lucky guess?
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm

In reply to Ragnarok:

Yes, i see what you mean when you say that some .gif avatars can be a bit repetitive and annoying but i try to stick to less repetive/annoying avatars as possible when i am picking out my own. As you can see with the "Don't give a damn loading screen", it is very slow and doesn't abrupt the eyes. I think I might go back to my blue devil face avatar though because that is what people most recognize me by.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:51 pm

STHORNE wrote:As you can see with the "Don't give a damn loading screen", it is very slow and doesn't abrupt the eyes.
No, I don't have a problem with that, and it's filesize isn't a problem either.
I think I might go back to my blue devil face avatar though because that is what people most recognize me by.
I don't know, what do you guys think?
It's your choice, but like I said, I personally prefer to stick with a single stationary avatar.
I don't change often, and if I do, it's because I really prefer the new one.
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:54 pm

yeah, i think its time i go and stick with my original avatar.

IN FACT!

I'm going to go further back and go with a (revamped) version of my very first avatar (RED devil) and i'm going to stick with it forever :lol: .

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah I still recognize you by your blue and red devil avatars...mostly blue I think. Your "don't give a damn" one was a little pointless ... and... I don't believe true of you... :wink:
jonnyboy
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Okay, ragnarok you've convinced me to get a new one. I plan on sticking with this one for a while.

Edit-I got an 8/10 on that quiz.Can I get a life now:lol: . Did anyone not get lardas?
mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:49 pm

jonnyboy wrote:Edit-I got an 8/10 on that quiz.Can I get a life now:lol: . Did anyone not get lardas?
Larda rarely posts here so I had to dig into my archives for that one. I did come up with him after a couple of seconds of spin up time... :wink: ACDCmonkey also doesn't post very often anymore, but for some reason, I quickly related his avatar.

Easily nailed 10/10 of them... 8)
Last edited by starman on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STHORNE
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:51 pm

starman wrote:Yeah I still recognize you by your blue and red devil avatars...mostly blue I think. Your "don't give a damn" one was a little pointless ... and... I don't believe true of you... :wink:
hmm, alright, ill go back to the blue one but that's it! lol, i will be known as STHORNE - the blue devil. hehe