Knife Thread

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Shineh! looking good :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm

aand here it is, still need sanding. its now on grit 180, its long way to 2000 :wink:

EDIT: finished sanding and polishing, here she is:
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 pm

wow... I really love the rough/smooth contrast on the blade! Excellent work as always :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
danielrowell
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Awesome knife Jake! I especially like the walnut handle. What angular degree is the blade?
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:27 pm

id say its close to 17 degrees, its very basic Puukko angle. the buffalo horn fots great with the walnut, eh?
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
danielrowell
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 pm

the buffalo horn fots great with the walnut, eh?
It sure does! :)
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:47 pm

just little shame that piece is that small, only 10mm long, 30-40mm eould be much awesome, but that was the only piece i had left, need to buy few more big buffalo horns...
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Yamroll
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:49 pm

I haven't posted on spudfiles in ages, but my new spudgun project spurred me to come on back.

In my absence I've been trying out knifemaking in my home, as a hobby, so I thought I'd post my first 2 creations.

The large bowie is the new of the two, although it's rougher to be sure.
It has a 9" differentially hardened 1084 carbon steel blade, 3/16" thick. The Handle is black paper micarta

The smaller knife is S35VN stainless steel, about a 4" blade, 1/8" thick. Handle is tiger G10.

I'm working on a new project (I've just completed a home made charcoal forge and I'm itching to put it to use).

Going to be a differentially hardened tanto. Somewhat modernized, of my own design.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Very impressive for starter projects, well done!
Yamroll
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Haha, thanks.

My next project is gonna be a little more involved. I'll post pics when it's ready.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:54 pm

A buddy of mine makes nives. He made a really nice one and the handle is made from one of the bones from his favorite DEAD dog. Brilliant work.
Yamroll
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Hmm... that's a little macabre for my tastes... :shock:
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:05 am

Yam, first ill say those look nice for first knifes! then some critic :wink:

firstly the hadle on the bowie doesnt "fit" to the blade. The finishing of the knifes are pretty rough what i see from the pics.

right now i got nothing else to say :D

your making a tanto, differential heat treated, is that managed via using clay or whitout clay? i always differential heat treat, so remember normalization!! if the blade is long, differential heat treatment will crack the blade if its not normalizated properly
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 am

Moonbogg wrote:the handle is made from one of the bones from his favorite DEAD dog.
At least it was dead :D
Hmm... that's a little macabre for my tastes...
Well, better than having them rot away in the ground.
Yamroll
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 am

jakethebeast wrote:Yam, first ill say those look nice for first knifes! then some critic :wink:

firstly the hadle on the bowie doesnt "fit" to the blade. The finishing of the knifes are pretty rough what i see from the pics.

right now i got nothing else to say :D

your making a tanto, differential heat treated, is that managed via using clay or whitout clay? i always differential heat treat, so remember normalization!! if the blade is long, differential heat treatment will crack the blade if its not normalizated properly
Thanks for the positive feedback, and the critique.

I agree with you on both counts. The... somewhat abnormal handle on the bowie was actually the result of a failure of the depth lock on my laminate trimmer when shaping the handle scales. The original design was going to be more akin to the handle on the smaller knife, with the back of the handle flowing straight down from the spine of the blade. Alas, the best laid plans of mice and men.

I also am feeling you on the roughness of the blades. I'm actually continuing to do work on the finish of the Bowie, being a student, I ran out of abrasives and money right around the same time, so the operation had kind of stalled out at the time of the photo. There are some definite flaws in the blade that I'm not going to be able to remove, but I'm at peace with them. I'm pretty pleased with the finish on the smaller of the two though, doesn't show well in photographs I've been able to produce unfortunately.

The differential hardening I've been doing has actually been using a furnace cement product mixed with fine ash, in 4 or 5 thin layers. I'm pretty anal about annealing and normalizing. We'll see how this one turns out. It'll also be the first knife I heat treat in my homemade forge, so, I may forgo the differential hardening on this project until I get a better feel for the forge.