Knife Thread

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 am

hey, i'm back and looking for a knife for skinning, i bought a 200 dollar buck knife but when i have to skin deer the blade goes blunt every 1-2 minutes witch is gay.

so yeah wanted to see if anyone can help me out i want something really hard as it wont cut bone only used for skinning.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 am

Ironically Buck knives aren't much chop for deer, that said it seems awfully quick dulling. How do you sharpen?

On that topic, whereabouts are you taking deer bro, getting a Tikka lite in .308 tomorrow and I'm thinking about chasing deer once I get my game license
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 am

Maybe you could send Jakethebeast a message, I have a few knives from his hand and i'm sure you can skin a few deers before the blade is blunt :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:07 am

Crna Legija wrote:witch is gay
Hmmm...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
BigDeutcher
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am

I have a Puma White Hunter, made in germany. Holds its edge very well, have always found while skinning out if you are continually cutting through the hair the knife loses its edge quicker. But, then I think that would happen with any knife. Out deer in the fall up here probably have a denser coat and more body fat then the deer down south on average.

Have hunted muleys in utah and the deer in florida and there are big differences in their coats.

my 2 cents
Attachments
puma-white-hunter-stag.jpg
puma-white-hunter-stag.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:03 am

Zeus wrote:Ironically Buck knives aren't much chop for deer, that said it seems awfully quick dulling. How do you sharpen?

On that topic, whereabouts are you taking deer bro, getting a Tikka lite in .308 tomorrow and I'm thinking about chasing deer once I get my game license

yeah i wont be buy any more of them! i use their recommend sharpener silicon carbide or something like it with a guide for correct angle.

nice gun but id go bigger man, that good if you can get a clear shot but that don't happen to often in the bush, you want it do die quck even if you shot it in the butt!. I sold both my tikka(22 250 and .300) and got a Win Model 70 in .338 and it packs a bloody big punch!

iv been hunting in the barnsdale and Wangaratta area and got a few my bro last week got a nice one she gonna make some mean sausages :)
Labtecpower wrote:Maybe you could send Jakethebeast a message, I have a few knives from his hand and i'm sure you can skin a few deers before the blade is blunt :)

yeah i think that's what i'll do.
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Hmmm...
:roll: way to much time on your hands! :)
--Homer Simpson

Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 am

Crna Legija wrote:
Zeus wrote:Ironically Buck knives aren't much chop for deer, that said it seems awfully quick dulling. How do you sharpen?

yeah i wont be buy any more of them! i use their recommend sharpener silicon carbide or something like it with a guide for correct angle.

nice gun but id go bigger man, that good if you can get a clear shot but that don't happen to often in the bush, you want it do die quck even if you shot it in the butt!. I sold both my tikka(22 250 and .300) and got a Win Model 70 in .338 and it packs a bloody big punch!

iv been hunting in the barnsdale and Wangaratta area and got a few my bro last week got a nice one she gonna make some mean sausages :)
.338?! Fark bro, I hope that's win mag, The trick us country folks use is, if you can't kill it with a .22, you don't try to. I'm only gonna shoot a deer if I get a clean shot, they don't come up often, but I prefer $25 for 20 rounds compared to $5 a round haha.

My mates and I are considering a trip to the NT, take some camels and buffalo, we discussed one of us buying a lever action .45/70 and handloading some 525gr flat noses, but decided a .30-06, .308, two .223s and who knows how many shotguns will do, I reckon at least 8 3" slugs will stop a buffalo, and my mate's getting a bolt action shotty.

Oh yeah, get one of Jake's knives, worth it /ontopic
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
BigDeutcher
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am

Crna Legija wrote:

Labtecpower wrote:Maybe you could send Jakethebeast a message, I have a few knives from his hand and i'm sure you can skin a few deers before the blade is blunt :)

yeah i think that's what i'll do.
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Hmmm...
:roll: way to much time on your hands! :)
Are you shooting long distance? Why not just go with a wild cat round like 284-06 that way you get a little bit of both distance and killing power.

INMHO, the .338 is really going to mess up alot of meat and no point going and grinding it up because all you will have left over is hamburger. Or mayb that was the point :wink:
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:54 am

From my experience, .308 drops a deer nicely if you get a clear shot to the lungs... So IMO .338 is overkill.

Smaller the better, doesn't ruin too much meat
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:16 am

284-06 would be nice, but bear in mind this is Australia, so ammo choice and costs are a problem. Any self respecting gun shop has .30-06, .300WM and such, .338 Win Mag is a little harder to find, but I've never seen a rifle in .284-06, nor the ammo for it, haven't even seen sizing dies at the gun show.

Jake, agreed, depends if you're shooting for sport or meat. Went out twice today, once with the .22 and then the .308. Shot a couple of bunnies for the dogs, then 3 with the .308 to improve my aim on foxes, that was effectively sport shooting.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 am

Iv been around hunting in Australia since a kid and we all use big guns or dogs i don't have dogs so i use a big gun,because you rarely to get a clear shot, idk where you hunt but here your in a bush with trees every meter or so and grass up to your waist. I got the .300 first it was good but still heaps of times we went out and you don't get clean kills and have to still chase the game down, i didn't like that so i got the 338 its been great so far. varies greatly on distance but roughly its 200-500 meters. also it fun to shoot big guns!

its $3 a round but i wont use more then 7-10 in a week end unless i'm sighting in. hardly expensive i spend more on my .22 shooting random shit!

Iv been to a privately owned property up in Queensland its my uncles mates nearest town is cunnamulla, its massive like 1000 or so acres, we when just after easter two years ago, drove up and you can rent a quad or buggy. its like $300 each and you get to sleep in the shearing shed. just don't shoot his cattle and sheep, but theirs wild sheep, pigs, goats, ostrich that a fukn fast! and you cant leave what you kill their.
--Homer Simpson

BigDeutcher
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 am

Zeus wrote:284-06 would be nice, but bear in mind this is Australia, so ammo choice and costs are a problem. Any self respecting gun shop has .30-06, .300WM and such, .338 Win Mag is a little harder to find, but I've never seen a rifle in .284-06, nor the ammo for it, haven't even seen sizing dies at the gun show.

Jake, agreed, depends if you're shooting for sport or meat. Went out twice today, once with the .22 and then the .308. Shot a couple of bunnies for the dogs, then 3 with the .308 to improve my aim on foxes, that was effectively sport shooting.
Not sure if you are reloading or not, but alot of the die manufactures are making the dies for 284-06 which is just a renecked 30-06. It is a phenomanal round and I have used it in F-class shooting. It is also becoming more and more common. another alternative is the 6.5 - 284 ballistically speaking they are almost identical and laupa makes match grade brass for the 6.5 - 284.

All around my next deer gun is going to be either or matched to a rem 700 LA with a 26" barrel fluted and indexed. It will be my last big purchase for hunting, i will still paly around with the ARs, they seem to be developing more and more recievers for the common ammos now.

Hope this helps, it is just my opinion.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:18 am

As have I bro, only in Vic and over the border for pigs, but I have t ask, do you shoot the first deer you see? I've been out at Eildon way, and you see 10 of the pricks on the road, so it's not like they're rare like in the US lol.

$3 a round isn't bad, I pay that for Vmax .308s, but Bendigo is damn expensive, I'll try Kyneton's soon, Shep has cheap ammo though, as does Geelong.

Now, regarding that property, can we be mates? I'm not far from Melbourne, and, and pretty pretty please haha. I have 120 acres myself, access to 400 or more on the neighbours, 1200 down the road, and maybe a heap more if I talk to his neighbors. And besides, you can come to my house and...

/jsr

I've heard of.284 plenty, I just don't see in up here. I live out in Hicksville, and the only gun shop likely to sell it closed down, so we're back to one shitty one. It sounds bloody good, projectile choice would be a bit limited compared to 6.5s, but again, hicksville haha. I love the .243-,280 odd sized rounds, just much flatter than the .30 cals.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
BigDeutcher
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:46 am

Well what ever you choose good luck. I thought owning firearms in ausy land was dam near impossible. A good gun bush has always been a 30/30. I still have two or three around for just beating through the woods never know what you will stumble across. Not sure if you have anything like a cabelas or if importing reloading stuff is prohibitive down under whether it be by monetary or by law?

You have deer in Ausy?!? or are deer the roos? I have heard of your boar / pig problems. And wild sheep or is that the feral ones. Sorry lots of questions, australia and new zealand are on my bucket list to see. I avidly fly fish and that my main reason to visit your end of the world.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 am

I's definitely not easy, but everyone but convicted violent criminals can get them. Just a safety course, 28 days for your license to come back, then permit to acquire forms are about 3-5 days (like a background check every time you buy). We can buy reloading gear, brass, scopes, bullets, all hat stuff online, just powder, primers and for some reason air rifle pellets aren't importable without a B709 form.

.30/30 is a nice round, handles scrub pretty well, and it smacks pigs hard enough. Because there's no pump shotguns or semi anything readily available, we use a lot of lever actions, and get fast working bolt actions here.

We have plenty of deer here bro, there's one living down the road from me, nearly hit it on the road. And the fly fishing around Lake Eildon, Eucumbine, and the Acheron and Kiewa rivers is amazing, not that you catch browns every 5 minutes, but it's just beautiful, and they fight so well. Also if you bring heavier gear (I'd say 7ish, I use 6 myself), you can chase Murray Cod, oddly enough in the Murray river. If you get onto a Silver Perch too you're in for a hell of a fight, a foot long one pulls like a big rainbow.

Also look at Tasmania for trout, never been fly fishing there but it's on the list. And should you find yourself down here, let me know, we'll see if I can find that bloody rainbow in the river down the back haha
/sarcasm, /hyperbole