Other Interests: Archery...

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Bloody right, this is friggin' unbelievable! That's amazing!
I must admit, before the video loaded and I saw the title I thought "Oh god what did JSR link me to now..."
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 pm

There's a lot of broadheads out there. Some mechanicals might have trouble with bone, some might not. Well engineered ones like the ones I linked to will supposedly have practically no problems punching through a solid ribcage on nearly anything... Deer, bears, cape buffalo, rhinos, whatever floats your boat :shock:
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
kotabuuki
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Now I don't hunt, however I do shoot target archery competitively, but anyways. There is a archery shop down the road from my house that has the reign broadeheads, and they are beast. They are designed to pulverize bones. heres a link, the reign is at around 3:50. it destroys the competition.

(sorry I don't know how to embed)

Edit:
heres an explanation of the Reign
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:07 am

Fnord wrote:I must admit, before the video loaded and I saw the title I thought "Oh god what did JSR link me to now..."
:D :D :D
kotabuuki wrote:(sorry I don't know how to embed)

Use the (youtube) and (/youtube) tags ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:39 am

Note to self never, ever piss off an archer, ever.

Those mechanicals look like something I never want to see at high speed.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 am

Zeus wrote:Those mechanicals look like something I never want to see at high speed.
The gobbler guillotine is even more terrible :?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:42 am

Zeus wrote:Note to self never, ever piss off an archer, ever.

Those mechanicals look like something I never want to see at high speed.
Just some advice...don't do a google image search for rage broadheads...

Oh and for you people who shoot little things like squirrels don't use broadheads...

Very goreish and extremely unsightly image, not recommended

:shock:
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
MrCrowley

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:45 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote: Seriously I don't think that the round created by LeMaudit will get very popular...

not that it sucks... it's great but it isn't practical - I wouldn't spend X $ to get it machined..
I want something that can go relatively far, requires little work and is cheap
not to be a dick but I think I am pretty good at telling what is practical and what is not... and I've got to tell you that machined rounds are very not practical
The round made by LeMaudit was never meant to be practical nor mass produced nor popular...so I don't see a problem.

As far as I'm aware, it was made to be shot as far as possible while conforming to a particular design that LeMaudit liked.
kotabuuki
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 pm

oh wow, how did I forget about the Rage heads? i've played with those before, they are nasty!!!!!

side note, would others mind posting up their bow setups? i'll post mine, if others will. I just don't want to waste my time posting pictures if people don't care, or aren't interested.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 am

Finally got my oly. rig how I want it...sorta :P

25" Hoyt GMX
Long W&W Inno Powers @ 42# 31"
Sure-loc Contender-X
Easton Carbon Ones 500
Other stuff

Come on, let's see your bows :wink:
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Fri May 04, 2012 4:09 am

Nice one! Though, i like 28" more :) I have been planning of making pyramid-style bow soon from ashwood, or traditional longbow, but time will tell :wink:
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 am

That's pretty and all, but how the hell is your grass so green?

Very nice bow, and a sensible weight.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri May 04, 2012 4:45 am

jakethebeast wrote:Nice one! Though, i like 28" more :) I have been planning of making pyramid-style bow soon from ashwood, or traditional longbow, but time will tell :wink:
31" is my draw length so I don't have much say in it :wink:

42# is actually quite high in olympic recurve- the shot cycle is very slow, long and controlled.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 am

Made an investment in a new set of arrows. I've also got a set of W&W HMC+ stabs coming in the mail, after that my baby will be complete :twisted:

Some very impressive engineering goes into these arrows. Aluminium/carbon fiber composite, barreled (bulge in the middle and taper to the ends), straight to about 0.001" once they're cut (+/-0.0015" as stock full length, or better). For reference that's about 25 microns, or roughly the diameter of a blood vessel. +/- 0.5 grains (weight matched them to 0.2 grains) in a dozen arrows. The only way to really appreciate how well made these are is to actually hold and measure them.

In the rear there are pin nocks installed- small machined aluminium pins that the nock mounts to, which protect the back of the arrow from impacts. Beiter pin/out nocks which are extremely consistent and well made- every single nock comes out of the same mould.

All of this for only $45.

Per arrow :?

Half a grand is a fair investment, but they work very well. Definitely worth the cost. Will update with some proper photos when my stabilizers get here.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 am

You're gonna have fun burying those under the grass and looking for the next three days. Invest in a metal detector :lol:

I would generally think I'm always the largest error factor, even with some entry-level carbon fiber arrows from the local sporting good store. After seeing a tradition bowyer hit a water droplet in midair I tend to think modern stuff often gets over-hyped.

Are the fletchings/fins replaceable? That was always the first part to go on the carbon arrows I've used. I'd also be interested in seeing how well they retain their straightness after heavy use. I never had noticeable problems with composites there. I don't see how anyone even uses pure aluminum arrows. Unless you're just shooting random crap to see what happens.