Fnord is Alive

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Remember me?
There are: 52383 new messages | 3255 new topics | 2 new private messages | 1475 new members
So, it's been a while.

I am no longer in ohio, but still in the continental US.
I'm going to play JSR (waldo) for a while and keep my exact location a secret, just for the hell of it :).

I'm at least 1100 miles away and it has been, to say the least, an interesting trip. The details are too much to possibly describe here, but I may gradually give bits and pieces away.

I do intend to get back in the hobby at some point, but until my current situation stabilizes I'll be limited to lending knowledge and perhaps making some penguns occasionally.

Anyway... What have I missed? Dramas? mini contests? events? unique/artistic creations?

The last time I checked in was sometime in may 2010.

I see Vera is getting close to zero hour... :)
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Quite possibly the best is SB15's piston hybrid IMHO. I'm in the process of building one as well, definitely check them both out.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Welcome back! and good luck dealing with all the guesses as to where you're located :D

On a self promotional note, I've made a lot of progress with a sentry gun (but still have to get round to making a reliable gun for it :roll:) and am actually making some headway hybrid cartridges :)

The forum has discovered the joys of affordable high speed cameras :D

Oh, and the smallest co-ax EVAR!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Good to hear from you again. I actually looked you up yesterday to see if you have been here while I was gone.

I remember you giving me your number thousand post on the small hybrid before you left.

I think JSR's hybrid cartrige is among the most interesting projects for now. He is getting somewhere with it.
SB's hybrid is also very nice, have a look at it. There have been a small invasion of high speed camera enthusiats so you might want to check out the "Official high speed camera thread" to.
There has also been alot of other hybrids lately.

Just browse the forums and find what YOU think is interesting, I can't know what you are looking for :P

Edit: I edited the Fail part out :)
Last edited by SpudFarm on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:41 pm

SpudFarm wrote:You surely got some posts while I was writing but NO ONE MENTIONED LARDA'S HYBRID!
Because he already knows about it ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Damn I just realized I forgot to do a "Still Alive" song joke.

SB15 Saw your hybrid and some of the contest guns. I completely missed Frocksie's gun so I'm glad you pointed it out. Nice job to both of you, but they look <sup>H</sup>E<sub>A</sub>V<sup>Y!!!!</sup>

I've had a 1.4" porting, 10x max handheld hybrid planned out in my head for years now. The only bad part is the weight of the thing.

Or rather, the lack thereof. I've done about as much math as can reasonably be done, and I can't see this thing weighing more than 15 pounds with some unique design and material usage (no fancy machining required, however).
A 1lb projectile at 10x would probably direct 300-400 ft-lbs of recoil at your shoulder. That might be leathal.

Really liked the innovation contest winner, it was well deserved.

Also JSR I had a smaller coax than that, but I lost it in the carpet somewhere.
jk:)
Last edited by Fnord on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Fnord wrote:A 1lb projectile at 10x would probably direct 300-400 ft-lbs of recoil at your shoulder. That might be lethal.
This monster with no recoil buffers/muzzle brakes whatsoever aparently was responsible for many a broken collar bone, but I doubt it could actually kill you.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Because he already knows about it
I feel kind of stupid right now :oops: I must admit I haven't looked through all the pages of "OMG good job" posts :P

I would like to see that 10x hybrid. I like the other one you made to, it was simply something new.

Well, good luck in your future of spudding!
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:19 pm

This monster with no recoil buffers/muzzle brakes whatsoever aparently was responsible for many a broken collar bone, but I doubt it could actually kill you.
What is the actual recoil figure on that thing? I did a rough calc not including propellent gasses(significant) but it only came out to about 45 joules.

And I laughed when I went to your hyb/cart development thread. I skipped to the last page and found the discussion had mostly dissolved into antique military technology and pictures of armored vehicles with holes in them. Things haven't changed at all around here :D
SB15 wrote:Using a larger chamber and valve fittings would help. What size were you planning on for theses components?
Well, I'm not using any standard fittings. What I have planned can be done with an angle/bench grinder and a cheap welder.
The valve is of the barrel sealing varity, 2" sch40 with 1.25" sch40 for a port(1.4" id). For a 2" barrel the flow restrictions will be nil with 3000F gasses.
Chamber =~75in<sup>3</sup>.
Last edited by Fnord on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Welcome back, I'm not familiar with your work, but judging by the comments, I think you're pretty successful! :)
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Fnord wrote:What is the actual recoil figure on that thing? I did a rough calc not including propellent gasses(significant) but it only came out to about 45 joules.
Didn't calculate it but this is the most powerful shoulder fired weapon I can think of that has absolutely nothing in the way of recoil mitigation aside from its considerable weight.
And I laughed when I went to your hyb/cart development thread. I skipped to the last page and found the discussion had mostly dissolved into antique military technology and pictures of armored vehicles with holes in them. Things haven't changed at all around here :D
Some things never do :)

Still settling back home but I'll be back to prototyping tomorrow morning :D
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Ha, hello Gunfreak. I'm really kind of a one-hit-wonder with a few other nice builds here and there. My hybrid is still on the front showcase page and it's still pretty eye-catching.

Edit: JSR, if I remember correctly, before the first RPG anti-tank weapons there was a type of shoulder-fired grenade launcher designed for the same purpose. The projectile looked something like a football on a stick and the men who tested it said the recoil was the worst of any weapon they'ed ever used. I'm sure you can find what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Fnord on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Ahhh, yes, the piston hybrid, I've seen it many times. It's awsome. Looking forward to what you will cough up this time :wink:
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!