"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 am

You need a so called "led flasher relay" which operates at much lower load than the normal. Got few from ebay for under 1$ each
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 am

Yeah saw these, thought they are too cheap to be useful :lol: gonna order a few then. Thanks Jake!
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Sat May 13, 2017 5:14 am

whats up dudes i havent posted in here in some time!

still at a loss for sdr26 2.5 inch pipe any leads on where i can'find some? i need like 3 feet
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon May 22, 2017 5:58 am

So, I'm buying a PCP. Gamo Dynamax. I know it's a Gamo but they're made by BSA which is surely not a bad thing. The price is definitely right, so I'm pretty set on it. Question time seeing as I've only used two before (and both FXs, so I'm spoiled). That said the shot to shot variation is superb for the price, and with half inch groups at 50 yards, it'll keep up or best me every time.

Can I store them full of air, or should I drain each time? As with air compressors, do I need to ensure any possible moisture is out?

I'm planning or purchasing the standard Chinesium air pump, which I believe comes with a 1/8" fitting. Assuming I procure the right fill prod, is there anything the usual online destructions don't tell me that I should know?

Scope recommendations! Is there any suitable scopes with graduated reticules that suit the usual ranges for air rifles, I'm personally partial to a 6x fixed power, but I'm open to something in the 4x40mm, or is it a task better suited to a variable power 4-12x50mm? Tl;dr I have no idea about scopes and air rifles, especially accurate ones. Not against dropping a few hundred into a scope, especially if it's a Vortex (god I love my Crossfire II)

Anything else that no one tells you about PCPs? Apart from the apparent addiction and increased upper body strength

And this is part three of Pyramyd Air's review of the rifle, part 1 and 2 are linked at the top.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010/02/ ... er-part-3/
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon May 22, 2017 6:34 am

So, I'm buying a PCP
Right on!
Gamo Dynamax
Oh.
The price is definitely right
I guess.

Don't listen to me, I'm an airgun snob, pretty sure it will be fine.

Is it 0.177"? I prefer to go with higher calibers for PCPs, much more energy while getting to stay below the trans-sonic velocity range that tends to upset pellets, also less susceptible to wind.
Can I store them full of air, or should I drain each time?

Full pressure constantly pushes on the seals that can deform over time, I go for enough pressure to keep the valve closed but not full.
As with air compressors, do I need to ensure any possible moisture is out?
Dry air is always better but moisture is less of an issue with aluminum alloy construction.
Scope recommendations! Is there any suitable scopes with graduated reticules that suit the usual ranges for air rifles, I'm personally partial to a 6x fixed power, but I'm open to something in the 4x40mm, or is it a task better suited to a variable power 4-12x50mm? Tl;dr I have no idea about scopes and air rifles, especially accurate ones. Not against dropping a few hundred into a scope, especially if it's a Vortex (god I love my Crossfire II)
Range and wind estimation are absolutely critical for airguns. I strongly suggest a 4-16x Mil-Dot scope and learning how to use it correctly. Some useful links:

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/how-to- ... ot-reticle

http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/targets/

The higher zoom range is more for observation than actual shooting, in practice 9-11x would be your typical shooting zoom range.
Anything else that no one tells you about PCPs? Apart from the apparent addiction and increased upper body strength
I never really picked up my spring airguns after getting PCPs, there is just no comparison. The only headache is providing the propelling medium, but it's damn good exercise for a good cause, the best kind.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 am

Now now Jack, it's a BSA Sportsman HV with Gamo on the side. I've read some excellent reviews in regards to accuracy. Not to mention I don't have the $3k for a really nice FX. Besides would you go romping through the bush with an FX Monsoon? :-P And yes, it's .22, I personally wouldn't consider anything else seeing as it's mainly intended for hunting

Keeping enough pressure to keep the seals seated was something I'd totally overlooked, these are the things you don't get from most places.

Very familiar with mil dots, most of my looooong range shooting has come from complete guesstimates, but I can usually ring a 12"x16" plate at 900 so I'm doing something right. Any particular scopes you've had a good run with? I'm not sure I could quite justify $1800 on a Nightforce just yet!

I made a similar mistake with my rifles, I didn't buy a .22 until I had my .223 and .308, now they hardly get used. I imagine the .22lr will be in the same position too.

And I'll be sure to post some targets when I get it and find what pellet it prefers
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon May 22, 2017 7:41 am

Any particular scopes you've had a good run with? I'm not sure I could quite justify $1800 on a Nightforce just yet!
Did well with Hawke and Simalux and they weren't too expensive.
I imagine the .22lr will be in the same position too.

Depends how much you can ramp it up, and a PCP with .22LR power levels is surprisingly loud.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue May 23, 2017 5:55 am

It's been a while since we had a "Damn technology, you scary!" post. I was looking through posts in this thread from 2012 and it made me a little nostalgic.

49 nano quadrotor swarm
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:00 am

Full auto AR-15 vs Level III plate:

[youtube][/youtube]

Pretty sweet channel, surprised it doesn't have more views.

hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:04 am

I need one of these ... :twisted:
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 pm

if you like that stuff check out Forgotten Weapons and InRangeTV

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons

[youtube][/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUNM9 ... RNeuW4_2sg

[youtube][/youtube]
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:13 am

I can't pin down why exactly but personally I find Gun Jesus to be very unlikable.
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:42 am

maybe he just needs a haircut :shock:
Xamllew
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 am

I fucking love Ian, his personality is great. Honestly I don't know if I'd watch Forgotten Weapons if he wasn't the host.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 am

farcticox1 wrote:maybe he just needs a haircut :shock:
... and a real job.