"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am

How can a guy make an inteligent post and then totally screw it up badly. An earthquake will not change any planet's orbit. The mass may shift, but the center of gravity of the mass will be unaltered in it's orbit. Earthquakes do NOT alter orbits.
:roll:

The center of mass of any objet travels in a straight line unless acted upon by external forces. Sorry earthquakes are internal forces.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Technician1002 wrote:How can a guy make an inteligent post and then totally screw it up badly.
If someone has sprouted that kind of scientific inaccuracy in that the earth's habitable zone is 20 feet wide, then it doesn't really matter if your explanation is wrong, as long as they believe it.
His point about the Earth's elliptical orbit is entirely valid though.

Either way, even if we assume that applies to the average orbital difference, by my reckoning, a 10 foot difference would make a difference of about three nanokelvin to the Earth's average global temperature.
Blimey, I didn't realise the planet was that finely tuned. I mean, those same global average temperatures have come up 1 kelvin in the last century alone.

I am disappointed people are so ill-educated that when they're told some tosh about a 10 foot change in a distance of 100 million miles they actually believe it. Of course, there are physical constants which have to be that precise, but the Earth's orbit is not one of them.
It reminds me of Ray Comfort and his "perfect" banana. Yes, that "perfect banana" is a Cavendish banana, a cultivated breed.

Also, this discussion would not be complete without this:

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I am disappointed people are so ill-educated that when they're told some tosh about a 10 foot change in a distance of 100 million miles they actually believe it.
In 2009, while appearing on the Electronic Box of Truth, Al Gore stated that the temp just a couple of Km's below the earths surface is several million degrees. I'm quite sure a lot of people believe him.
MrCrowley

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Technician1002 wrote:How can a guy make an inteligent post and then totally screw it up badly. An earthquake will not change any planet's orbit. The mass may shift, but the center of gravity of the mass will be unaltered in it's orbit. Earthquakes do NOT alter orbits.
:roll:

The center of mass of any objet travels in a straight line unless acted upon by external forces. Sorry earthquakes are internal forces.
I too had the same thought until I realised he meant that an earthquake would appear to shift one plate higher in a normal fault. I'm sure 10' is possible but I don't think the point is valid because the plate is only rising in respect to the earth and the atmosphere wouldn't end up 10' closer to the sun.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

velocity3x wrote:In 2009, while appearing on the Electronic Box of Truth, Al Gore stated that the temp just a couple of Km's below the earths surface is several million degrees. I'm quite sure a lot of people believe him.
I'd personally like to believe that people have learned to take things said by people involved in a controversial topic like Gore is with a little skepticism, but I have to agree with you.
MrCrowley

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:43 pm

saefroch wrote:
velocity3x wrote:In 2009, while appearing on the Electronic Box of Truth, Al Gore stated that the temp just a couple of Km's below the earths surface is several million degrees. I'm quite sure a lot of people believe him.
I'd personally like to believe that people have learned to take things said by people involved in a controversial topic like Gore is with a little skepticism, but I have to agree with you.
Still not as bad as his wife haha :P
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm

I guess I may have an even more negative view of such a hearing and parental control groups, because I listen to the more... intellectual? side of metal, where the only violent songs are covers, and the most directly sexual they get is by being "Carpe Diem." :P

In any case, I can say that if many artists today like Epica or The Agonist or even Nightwish were hauled in for a hearing, it would be even more of a slaughter than that was. I find their songs to be very intellectual (and often learn new words from the lyrics :roll:) Most underestimate how intellectual metal can be, even the really heavy songs.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:10 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Still not as bad as his wife haha :P
That is wonderfully hilarious.

With music, I get the idea many people just assume what they think it's about. I was checking the lyrics to Crazy Train a while back (I'm pretty rubbish with remembering what order lyrics come in), and ran across this question where someone was asking what it meant.
I have doubts as to whether the person who responded "Doing every single stupid thing ever" has ever even heard the song.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
linuxexorcist
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 am

Has anyone here played One Chance? its a unique little flash game, takes about 10 mins to play through, give it a go, tell me what you think.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Did you write it? It was okay; I only wish it took less time to walk.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
linuxexorcist
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm

No, but it;s an insteresting game i that thought was worth sharing
On another note, I'm rereading the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy!
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 am

So that's where you've been :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
linuxexorcist
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:59 am

Oh, to live in the interior...
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:50 am

Did you purchase the aluminium in that condition or did you process it yourself?

It's not a solid propellant :wink: