RC Plane Strafer?

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Spudrookie
Private
Private

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 pm

I tried to ask this at RC Groups but the people there were ready to shoot me and leave my body in a ditch so I'm coming here. Before anyone says something about how I'll shoot someone's eye out, I can assure you safety precautions will be taken and there will not be spectators.

So, that out of the way, I was wondering if a cloud bbmg (simplicity) could be made to have 30 secs total firing time at 1000 rpm at maybe 200fps and still weigh under 1.5 pounds (2 max).
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:40 pm

So, that out of the way, I was wondering if a cloud bbmg (simplicity) could be made to have 30 secs total firing time at 1000 rpm at maybe 200fps and still weigh under 1.5 pounds (2 max)
well you can build a cloud bbmg that will weigh less than 1.5 pounds

will the gun + air tank needed for 30 seconds + ammo weigh less than 5 pounds ? hmm I don't think so

wait for jsr he will post pics of his design that he thinks is ingenious - bunch of pvc bottles and a gun in coupola (I think he likes this word) - anyway you'll know what I mean once you see the comment
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

It depends on the calibre PS, a 1mm BBMG running on 50psi from a 16 gram CO<sub>2</sub> cartridge would last a good 30 seconds.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 pm

yeah but it's for an RC plane so I guess 5-10 meter max range doesn't cut it
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:27 am

From another thread, I would repeat this suggestion of making a BBMG with the fuselage structure as a pressure chamber:

The twin booms are principally composed of two 2 or 3 litre soda bottles which are also the air tanks, filled to 150 psi or so. This should give you at least 10 or so seconds of firing time on full auto

In a central nacelle there is the valve mechanism, BB chamber, barrel and camera facing forward, as well as batteries, RC gear and a motor driving a pusher propellor.

If you want semi auto, servo triggering would give you some interesting opportunities - but shooting from the air I would surmise that you need full auto to actually have any hope of hitting something smaller than a barn door.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Spudrookie
Private
Private

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:From another thread, I would repeat this suggestion of making a BBMG with the fuselage structure as a pressure chamber:

The twin booms are principally composed of two 2 or 3 litre soda bottles which are also the air tanks, filled to 150 psi or so. This should give you at least 10 or so seconds of firing time on full auto

In a central nacelle there is the valve mechanism, BB chamber, barrel and camera facing forward, as well as batteries, RC gear and a motor driving a pusher propellor.

If you want semi auto, servo triggering would give you some interesting opportunities - but shooting from the air I would surmise that you need full auto to actually have any hope of hitting something smaller than a barn door.
That is actually a really good idea, i didn't think of that.

Another thing I tested for this project are bb "hollow points". They are basically little balls of hardened play-dough that leave a 6 mm entrance hole and an 18 mm exit hole.
Spudrookie
Private
Private

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Sorry for weird double post
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 am

Spudrookie wrote:Another thing I tested for this project are bb "hollow points".
spherical hollow points?

Hmmm...

:D
They are basically little balls of hardened play-dough that leave a 6 mm entrance hole and an 18 mm exit hole.
What is the target medium?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Spudrookie
Private
Private

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Spudrookie wrote:Another thing I tested for this project are bb "hollow points".
spherical hollow points?

Hmmm...

:D
They are basically little balls of hardened play-dough that leave a 6 mm entrance hole and an 18 mm exit hole.

What is the target medium?
Big piece of useless styrofoam, I think it was 5 or 6 inches thick.
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 am

What about using a piston engine for the plane that has a forward facing exhaust that doubles as a propellant for an attached magazine on the exhaust pipe. Or just have the engine run a small compressor pump.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 am

Solar wrote:What about using a piston engine for the plane that has a forward facing exhaust that doubles as a propellant for an attached magazine on the exhaust pipe. Or just have the engine run a small compressor pump.
Anyone willing to hook up the exhaust of an RC engine to a BB chamber by way of experiment?
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:29 am

I know some people stop RC car engines by pushing a plastic stopper onto the exhaust. It doesn't look like it takes much to make them stop.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 am

well if the plane is large enough you might attach a tiny air compressor to the motor shaft :wink:

nahh seriously it isn't such a bad idea
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Just1ofgod
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 am

i fly rc and Insomniac is right it doesn't take much to stop the engine blocking the exhaust plus the exhaust pressure pushes the fuel out of the gas tank and you could risk blowing fuel lines that all being said some of the bigger four stroke engines have super chargers possibity of running a small compressor off the engine i think could work i also really like the idea of using the air tanks as a part of the fuselage i have dreamed of doing this for years its something to work towards i will be very interested to see what JSR and POLAND SPUD think of the project im working on right now its pretty much the first step to a dream will possibly post it tomorrow