Museum vist - Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 am

The St. Petersburg museum is fantastic. My camera battery only made it through 1945 so I missed out on pictures of the ICBM's. When/why are you going to be at Aberdeen?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 am

Solar wrote:The St. Petersburg museum is fantastic. My camera battery only made it through 1945 so I missed out on pictures of the ICBM's.
I missed that when I was there unfortunately, having dragged the poor ladies through Kubinka and the MAKS airshow it would have been too much. I did get to see the Авро́ра close up though :)

When/why are you going to be at Aberdeen?
Once i'll be in Canada I'll definitely want to visit the US and the US Army Ordnance Museum is high on the list of destinations, though looking it up it seems to be in the process of moving to Virginia...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 am

I got to see that ship as well but did not go aboard. The St. Petersburg museum had similar displays of the Axis "glass coffins". When is your arrival in North America? I forget when you were planning on the move.
MrCrowley

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 am

Yeah your licence either says you're allowed to drive manual or not, so I'd have to get a new licence and sit the test in a manual if I changed.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 am

Solar wrote:When is your arrival in North America? I forget when you were planning on the move.
Travel date is 11th September
Yeah your licence either says you're allowed to drive manual or not, so I'd have to get a new licence and sit the test in a manual if I changed.
Quite a silly system - there really is nothing to driving manual. Here it's the default, and it's assumed that if you've mastered that then you can drive an automatic.

I'm not sure if I will bother looking for a manual Ram though... I would prefer a diesel manual one, but I don't want to have to chase rare parts either, so gasoline automatic it will probably be.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Quite a silly system - there really is nothing to driving manual. Here it's the default, and it's assumed that if you've mastered that then you can drive an automatic.
I guess it's because automatics are so much more common and you can get your drivers licence at only 15. Put a 15-year-old-me behind the wheel of a manual, and I wouldn't be able to drive to save my life I don't think. Even now, I'm not sure how well I'd do. I've only ever had about 5 minutes in a manual my entire life :shock:

If you get your licence driving a manual, it's also assumed you can drive auto.

So I've emailed a guy who does small tours in Normandy, I think if enough people are booked for the day I may only have to pay about 80euro or so. There does seem to be a good bus network in the region but it's probably quite difficult to utilise in a single day and if you don't speak French.