requiring lathe+mill

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 am

I'll copy JSR's future post, and recommend Sherline if you don't need anything big, because of how modular they are, and if you want to go bigger, look for the lathe and mill I'm after, it's as small as you'd want in a full sized machine. Remember that Sherlines keep their value well, so you can sell them on for little loss.
I love my little lathe, but Sherline is not for everyone. The lack of power feed is an issue for example, and the small size - but the great thing is that there are accessories for everything.

I would definitely recommed getting a separate lathe and mill.
wyz2285 wrote:I looked sherline, too expensive, almost 1000 for a smallish lathe that looks rudimentary.
http://www.sherline.com/4400pg.htm

$675 from Sherline, even cheaper from a supplier: http://www.discountcampus.com/cgi-bin/w ... iw3BcM7@Dl@

Just under 500 euro, around 600 with shipping and taxes.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:34 am

Well that lathe is acceptable, but looks like I'll have to spend a lot on accessories... Also sherline has no distributors near so shipping would cust a considerable amount after a couple ordering for parts...
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 am

this lot cost me less than 1500 euros including shipping and taxes, and epoxyland is further than Portugal ;)

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#320441

Part 2 that was mostly a separate mill table and motor and some other accessories was another 700 or so euros including shipping and taxes:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 am

So all together it's less than 2000 euro? I'll check your thread first and then ask you more questions :p
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am

wyz2285 wrote:So all together it's less than 2000 euro?
Yup... and there are things that I never used :oops:

Like the $118 thread cutting attachment: http://www.discountcampus.com/cgi-bin/w ... iw3BcM7@Dl@
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 am

You bought them from the sherline official site or somewhere else?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:38 am

All from here, they have the best prices: http://www.discountcampus.com/
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 am

Do they have international shipping? At least to Portugal I mean :lol: (Didn't found shipping information there :oops: )
Also that's the lack of power you were talking about?
I was thinking about the c3 and x2:
http://www.maquelec.net/archivos/TORNOS ... REMESA.htm
CS

Donating Members

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:48 pm

[IDK what zues is talking about with SIEG machines being bad.]

The x2 mill is .001" tolerance capable. Milling tables in general are made to bolt a variety of items atop them. Vises, work pieces, etc. It will cut plastic, aluminum, and steel. My only complaint is the the Y axis is lacking, considering the Z and X axis are triple the length. mill axises

I've got a SIEG 8x12 lathe and I am very happy with it, I use it all the time. .001" tolerance capable, 500 watt motor, weighs a ton. I can't believe how heavy and fast of cuts you can make with steel. The belt (speed control) is manual, and the gears (thread pitch control) are manual. But you don't change them much.

[/IDK what zues is talking about with SIEG machines being bad.]

Wyz the c3 lathe looks good, might want to check reviews or see if someone here owns one. I'd suggest you buy a lathe first. I use my lathe much more then my mill. I did buy a few unecessary tools for my lathe, so put a shopping list together and I could give some pointers on what is critical and what isn't.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks CS.
I did a research about the c3 and reviews about hobby machinery, most feedback are positive, some says they had to do some mods before reaching excellence. There isn't much thing about c3 but a lot about c4, witch sounds like a great lathe but not sold by the distributor in Spain :(
Also the x3 mill has a good feedback as well, the x2 however sound ok but sx2 had good reviews by it's powerful motor.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 am

wyz2285 wrote:Do they have international shipping? At least to Portugal I mean :lol: (Didn't found shipping information there :oops: )
You have to ask them about shipping, what I did was draw up a list of what I wanted to order and they gave me a quote.
Also that's the lack of power you were talking about?
The lathe is not enormous, and I usually cut up 0.5mm of brass at a time, or 0.1mm of steel - meaning that for example taking a steel rod from 10mm to 9mm needs ten passes of the tool. A larger sturdier lathe gives you the option of being a bit more rough.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Right now I'm sold on these 2:
The sieg sx2 mill
And
sieg sc3 lathe
From what I read from mini lathe.com and mini mill.com they are totally suitable for my needs (even through I'd preferred the c6 lathe and x3 mill :lol: )
They both have a 500w brushless motor, witch from what I read, has good power.
But I'm going to contact the sieg official site to see how much they charge me for direct shipping, the SC2 is better than C3 and I didn't find model SC3 in the official site :roll:
Now JSR, need your help with this question (and everyone else who works with machines):
The SC3 (or SC2/4 if they do ship to me) plus the SX2 together with shipping and plenty of accessory/tool cost less than 1500 euro, they have 500w(confirmed) brushless motor and in case of the SC4, 1000w. The SC2 is smaller than the 17" bed Sherline but the SC3/4 are the same/larger, the SC2 mill has 200x100 table I think, not plenty on Y axis but enough. The feedback about them are very positive from third party owners. So can you tell me more about the Sherline?
Ps: what's the main difference between imperial and metric lathe/mill? And witch one should I choose?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:35 am

wyz2285 wrote:Right now I'm sold on these 2:
The sieg sx2 mill
And
sieg sc3 lathe
I can't see the wheel for vertical movement of the mill head, hmmm...

Now JSR, need your help with this question (and everyone else who works with machines):
The SC3 (or SC2/4 if they do ship to me) plus the SX2 together with shipping and plenty of accessory/tool cost less than 1500 euro, they have 500w(confirmed) brushless motor and in case of the SC4, 1000w. The SC2 is smaller than the 17" bed Sherline but the SC3/4 are the same/larger, the SC2 mill has 200x100 table I think, not plenty on Y axis but enough. The feedback about them are very positive from third party owners.
The great thing about the Sherline is that it's modular, so for example the Y axis height can be extended on the mill:

You can add blocks to the mill column to make it taller. You can see my two extra blocks at the top right of the photo of my second order.

The swing over bed on the lathe can also be increased: http://www.sherline.com/1290inst.htm
Ps: what's the main difference between imperial and metric lathe/mill?
The marks on the wheel will be in fractions of a millimeter as opposed to fractions of an inch, that's the only difference.
And which one should I choose?
Metric obviously :)
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 am

The siege contacted me, the SC2 is 680 dollars, the SC4 1050 dollars and SX2 700 dollars. So it's a little over 1000 euro for SC2+SX2 or 1500 for the SC4 instead of SC2. But if I buy from the British retailer the SX2 comes with plenty accessory. I'll go check the sherline now, but the lathe doesn't come with anything, I'll have to throw a lot on tools just to put it to work.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 am

If you show me the accessories I will link you to the sherline equivalents.