Fitness

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:26 am

Not to be that guy posting about his gym trip on facebook...

But what are y'all routines are far as fitness, health and strength goes.

I've been going to the gym for a while and have started tracking calories, already having lost a fair bit (probably 10-15kg) this year from healthier eating. I was doing a big mix of exercises but to simplify things I'm trying out stronglifts (5 sets of 5, bench press, dead lift, squat, overhead press, barbell row) with some extras thrown in if I feel like I'm lacking something (eg. pullups and dips). Seems to be making results. On rest days I'll usually do half an hour or so cardio on the rower or bike.

Idea behind the fewer exercises is that big ones like squats, deadlifts and bench press are compound exercises and work more muscles.

Also, my back pain has stopped as it's strengthened my posterior chain a lot and improved my posture.

As far as goals go I've only recently started weighing/counting cals so we'll see how the continued weight loss goes, I think I'll go with it until I'm happy with my bf% then do nothing but cardio and weights and eat at maintenance. Accomplishments? Well I have a shirt that didn't fit me last year... and now it doesn't fit my chest or biceps, but fits my stomach :(

So... what do you guys do?

:roll:
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
ignatorius
Private
Private

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:46 am

Try insanity workout. You need to work but the results is just stunning :)
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 am

I live on a farm, do farm stuff, and engage in a tremendous amount of personal contact. That's enough to keep me fit enough, I don't have the option of feeling weak or faint when cutting, so going by the internet, I don't even lift...
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 am

ignatorius wrote:Try insanity workout. You need to work but the results is just stunning :)
You need to work to get any results. Not to mention that looks like cardio, cardio, and a whole lot of cardio. I'm not aiming to be a runner, I'm aiming to lift heavy things :P

Edit: That used to be my workout Zeus, labour all day. Wasn't enough to make me skinny though :P since I started studying though that's not an option... so I've gotta lift :lol:
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:48 am

Do gardening. Don't use a riding or self propelled mower. Until it broke, I used to hand pump all my air cannons. The ones larger than a gallon could be a workout if you want more than one shot at more than 70 PSI. :P I do my own car repairs.. That hybrid battery is 110 lbs. Shipping weight is 125 LBS. I camp and hike, etc.

Gym is boring. Campout, cookout, swimming, hiking, spudding, hiking to find distances shot, etc..
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 am

Gym 3 days a week. I do a Les Mills Bodypump class, racquetball, or some machines depending on the day. Also do MTB with a friend. I'm a pretty small guy so weight loss isn't my goal (6ft 145 lbs) but I just do it to stay strong and have a good heart. I used to be into Parkour and free running but that interest waned when I got tired of training at the only good spot near me.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 am

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:06 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Have you been shooting at a high angle?
Funnily enough, I shot clout last week (180m or so range depending on bow/age, target flat on the ground- a homage to shooting arrows over castle walls). My arrows are literally 10 times more expensive than those though, so it wasn't me :P
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Have you ever tried for maximum range? Surely you can do better than 180m.

Anyway, to keep things on topic - eat what you like as long as it's in moderation, and don't live a lazy life, don't use a compressor when you can use a stirrup pump. Basically what Tech said. There are enough activities to keep you fit out there without having to waste time needlessly pumping iron, at least fit a bloody generator somewhere.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't really follow a specific eating routine. Most of my fitness is running; I run between 30-35 miles a week, depending if I run on weekends. I do enough during the day, however, where I get some good core conditioning in though. Especially handling the pipe for my current project. :) If I feel aggressive enough, I'll hit the gym for weight training, mostly core. Rows, Flys, etc. I can't say I have a specific routine; once I get a job again though, I'm sure I'll fall into one. I used to have massive back problems long ago due to a weightlifting accident (Parallel squatted too much weight off-balanced, caused me to topple over) but it turned out to be weak back muscles and being active worked this out for me. That, and getting massages at my local chiropractor. :)

I used to have a severe problem with portion control. I weighed 225lbs and would take in well over 5000 calories a day! I've gotten this down to about 3000, but honestly I don't even keep count anymore. You can drive yourself nuts trying to. Screw that noise. I also eat about 5 times a day but only average about 400 calories a meal (if averaged out throughout the day).

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but I still tell folks to just stay active and not eat so much, but more frequently. And the #1 tip is ditching regular consumption of soda and drink water instead. So that's more for losing weight and not working on muscle training. lol
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I guess some context is needed, I'm 5'9".
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I try and workout daily, I work at a job were I move roughly 7-8 thousand pounds of concrete and drywall everyday, some days around 10 thousand, usually in increments of 80-180lbs. On my days off I like to bike 14-30 miles, or, if I am not too sore I'll do planche push-ups, and spend some time on the salmon ladder. If you don't know what those are, just look em up. I also use a speed and heavy bag regularly. Just for a reference, I am 5'8" and 160lbs little under 9%bf.