wood drying kiln

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 am

Oh, what's that wacky yellow wire in the fan? Can I just snap it off? I've looked in the web on what the heck it might be, but still not havin' a clear thought on what that is.
IIRC it's got something to do with either speed control or RPM feedback.

For fan placement, think convection oven:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Sun May 04, 2014 11:00 am

Ok, I've finished the new kiln, one problem(that's partly corrected): the fan blows so damn efficiently that it rather cools down the barrel than circulates warm air evenly, would a smaller power battery help? The one I'm using now is 12 volts and 7 amps, the fix to the over-efficiency I've made now is that I took the piece of metal that was cut off the bottom of the barrel and drill a few 6mm holes to it, then I taped it in front of the fan so to decrease the airflow, and here's a pic and all:
Attachments
Kuva319.jpg
In defence of offtopicism!
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun May 04, 2014 11:49 am

You don't want the fan forcing air in or out of the kiln. Just let it circulate internally.

You'll most likely need insulation as the barrel will radiate heat quite well. Even some towels will work (they're useful for everything, huh?).
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Sun May 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Fnord, didn't you say a computer fan woulda been (pretty much) necessary? Or is it unnecessary now that the fan is too powerful? Again gonna mention drilling holes, if I'd drill holes to the barrel, should they be on the 'roof'? Because doesn't warm air gather to the upper level always? Just a few 6mm or a little smaller holes, about 10? And then make a metal sheet to cover the holes if no circulation would be needed?
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun May 04, 2014 2:14 pm

iloveairguns wrote:Fnord, didn't you say a computer fan woulda been (pretty much) necessary?
Can I use a spudding analogy?
The fan is like a combustion chamber fan used to create turbulence and internal circulation. You do *not* want it exhausting air from the chamber constantly. Maybe if you're using completely soaked/green wood, you'd use it as an exhaust fan. Otherwise it's just there to blow hot air over the log.

Just let the humidity that builds up escape on its own through a few small holes.
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Sun May 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Oh, ok. I'll just make 10 or 15 4mm holes, that should be sufficient. You can always use spudding analogy, because this. Is. Spudfiles! Well, this is all for now, gotta go get some sleep, and thanks for the helpful tips, you've helped me a lot. Do remember to check out the ready statue, it'll be stained with gold yellow colored stain.