phpBB versus snitz

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
aturner
Private 2
Private 2

Donating Members

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:32 pm

PCguy, I am looking into setting up a forum for a work related project (not spudguns) and would like your advice. I've had a look at the snitz and phpBB websites, and have also been a member of forums that have used each of those forum systems. I don't have a strong preference yet.

So I'd like to ask you why you picked phpBB over any of the available forum freeware? Is there something that sets it apart from snitz and the others? Or is it simply a matter of personal preference? Any technical differences that matter to the average user? Does the type of forum setup matter when selecting the type of forum freeware?

Thanks.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:37 pm

There really is no way to compare them, it all depends on what your server can run. Snitz is the best free forum for ASP, and phpBB is the best free forum for PHP. Most servers run either PHP or ASP.

You would need to find out what your host supports, or go with a host that supports whichever one you like the best. Personally I like phpBB better no matter what, becuase it's easy to work on, and you can do almost anything you want with the massive ammounts of mods for download.

Plus on phpBB there are many many themes you can download and use, and with a bit of help from someone that knows phpBB well, you can make it work however you want.

And I forgot to mention, phpBB 3.0 is comming soon which will have MUCH more powerful (by default) than the current phpBB 2.0.

Snitz is nice and simple, but don't plan on any major customization, and a much smaller userbase (bigger userbase=better support).

If you have any other questions, just ask.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
aturner
Private 2
Private 2

Donating Members

Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:38 am

Thanks! That does help a lot. I am working in tandem with a more technically-oriented web administrator on this forum project, but have not been able to get a clear explanation about some of this basic background info. The dude is talking way over my head. In contrast, you broke it down to a level I could understand.

So a follow up question. Assuming the server can run either asp or php, but also assuming that the server is currently hosting our large website that is based on asp. If I want to the forum to be seamlessly integrated within the existing asp website, then shouldn't I select asp based forum software? Or is it just as easy to use a php based forum?
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:30 am

If the website is already ASP, that means whoever "built" it probally knows a bit about ASP. Therefor I would go ahead and use Snitz.

Since ASP is a private Microsoft thing, and PHP is more open source, chances of finding a server that supports both is rate. And even if you can configure the server to do both, it's kinda "hacked" together because ASP and PHP aren't made to run together (like a Unix server running an ASP module is just wrong).

When it comes down to it, PHP is great but can require more work in the long run keeping it updated. New fixes come out all of the time for PHP it's self and phpBB (because their both open source, anyone can look at how it works and try to find security holes). If you look at www.phpbb.com and look on the left, you'll see some of the security announcements. Everytime a new security hole is found, I have to run over here and patch it up.

ASP won't require as much work once it's up and going, reason some say it's more secure is becuase the general public can't really get to it's source (like people can't get to the source of Windows).

If your tech friend ever confuses you with something he says, you can email/IM me and i'd be glad to try to explain.

Have fun, PCGUY.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
aturner
Private 2
Private 2

Donating Members

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks.

Now I understand enough to go back and ask some questions about why they are even trying to use a php forum in conjuction with an asp website. I may email/IM you after I hear what they have to say.