got my lathe

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:36 pm

i got my lathe today, its a shepard lathe from 1912, its about 54" long total, and friggin heavy. it was my great uncle's lathe, and he hardly (if at all) used it for metal, he used it for woodworking. the pics i have dont have the tailstock on, it was removed when we were bringing it in. there is also a morse taper drill press from 1870 that i have yet to get pics of. most of the lathe tools havent been unpacked, but theres 2 four jaw chucks, and numerous other tools for it. the belt thats on it is so long because it used to run on a shaft going across the ceiling i'm hoping to get a smaller belt soon so i can just mount it behind the lathe it needs a bit of work to clean it up, but for the age its not in such bad shape, if anyone has some info on the shepard lathe co. i'd love to hear it, i've been doing some research and gathered some information, but anything else would be great

only a few pics now, i'll take more soon

incidentally there is a machine shop opening down the street, which i hope to be able to buy some stock from them, or just go thru their garbage and get some free [:D]

i also got some large pipe taps, up to 1.25" might as well post pics of them

iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:42 pm

congradulations, now u just need to learn how to rifle barrels and put sweet mussel knifes on. lol
i got connections with the modfia, watch who ur talkin to noob.

talk to me on AIM at iamthwalrus3
saladtossser
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:59 pm

ya, my muzzle knifes is cut at a 45 degree angle with a miter-saw, it gives it some teeth that helps, but looks ugly compared to a smooth one done on a lathe
"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:16 am

if i cant get a smaller belt i'm gonna have to figure out a way to mount a 60lb motor on the ceiling to power my lathe, i'm planning on using a 1/2hp motor with a flat belt pulley, the change gears should give it the extra power it needs. the motor is as old, or older than the lathe though, so it'll be a wonder if it works