New Gun or Old Gun Idea

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Chuck
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:02 am

I looked for a picture of Clides gun but couldn't find it Thanks Chuck
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:05 am

Chuck wrote:I looked for a picture of Clides gun but couldn't find it Thanks Chuck
clide's "slider"

Don't forget that such designs will need to be hooked up to a regulated paintball tank or similar if you wantthem to be portable.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Chuck
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 am

There I found what I'm looking for it's the same design as the SSTalon 22 caliber pellet rifle. The tank is on the stock end like my rifle. I just need to figure the triggering set up and how to make it work.Thanks Chuck
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 am

All you need to know about the Talon hammer, valve and trigger mechanism can be found here (Note that the Airforce Talon is known as the "gunpower stealth" in Europe)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:38 pm

does the valve work by the hammer hitting the tophat then the top hat pushing back the valve stem which pushes the head back and releases some air? or have i got it completely wrong?

if i'm right then a hammer valve shouldn't be too hard to make, i think the trigger mech would be quite difficult though.

if i'm feeling adventurous when i come to plan my next gun i may try a hammer valve.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm

does the valve work by the hammer hitting the tophat then the top hat pushing back the valve stem which pushes the head back and releases some air?
pretty much
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:41 pm

i wonder how hard it would be then.... well i will think harder about it when i have finished my 6mm sniper.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:55 pm

It won't be that hard to do, but the question is performance - one of the reasons that such rifles give good velocities with hammer valves is because their chambers hold in excess of 3,000 psi of air. With home built spudguns, we're usually limited to about 10% of that, which means that in order to extract similar performance we have to use much more efficient ways to feed air into our barrels like piston valves.
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:04 pm

well i would probably make the valve alot bigger to give a higher flow and i would also probably use it at the pressure of unregulated co2 which is around 800psi i think or regulated HPA from a paintball HPA tank so the bigger valve and quite high pressure would give reasonable performance.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 pm

i would probably make the valve alot bigger to give a higher flow
That means bigger hammer and stronger spring... unless you have access to good machining facilities, such a project would not be plausible.
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:12 pm

i'm sure i could do it with my getto-ing skillz lol not really, i have acces to my grandpa's lathe so next time i go i could spin something up.
Chuck
Private 3
Private 3

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:59 am

Well Guys I think I have come to a halt. I have made several rifles now. I have a 177, and a 22 caliber pellet rifle and a coaxal rifle that has two barrel's one for 50caliber balls , batteries, jellybeans or what ever I can stick in it. At 15 yards they are ok and would probly help you in a survival situtation but thats about it. It was fun and I enjoyed talking and learning from you Guys. I guess everybody was a winner since most of it was on what you could do with raw materials and what nots. It's something what someone can think up. Well thanks this is a good site Chuck
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Chuck wrote:Well Guys I think I have come to a halt. I have made several rifles now. I have a 177, and a 22 caliber pellet rifle and a coaxal rifle that has two barrel's one for 50caliber balls , batteries, jellybeans or what ever I can stick in it. At 15 yards they are ok and would probly help you in a survival situtation but thats about it. It was fun and I enjoyed talking and learning from you Guys. I guess everybody was a winner since most of it was on what you could do with raw materials and what nots. It's something what someone can think up. Well thanks this is a good site Chuck
does this mean you're leaving?!? :(