Slightly atypical valve in tee

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
boilingleadbath
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:22 pm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/ ... =valve.png

That's a 3/4" tee, pipes leading into the top and left of the fitting are 3/4" sch 40 PVC, pipe to the right is 1" sch40 PVC - and would be longer than is pictured.

Ok, it's a slightly atypical barrel sealing piston valve built into a 3/4" tee. Porting is 3/4", piston moves all the way out of the way for improved flow.
Aesthetically, it's small and sleek.

GGDT shows that it works quite dandy with a blowgun as a pilot (works well with very small chamber volumes)

Only two machined parts required; I've included .PNGs and .DWGs of these to make it easier for you to make them/have someone make them for you.
You may have to change the length of the piston depending on your brand of tee... I believe this is based off the dimensions of a Lasko fitting.

Piston is CPVC for improved impact strength and machinability.

Valve is assembled using epoxy because solvent-welding tends to change part dimensions.

Feel free to suggest modifications.
Attachments
341valve.zip
has .dwgs and .pngs of those .dwgs.
(205.69 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:30 pm

I think the only modification I could possibly add to the design is to rename it a chamber sealing piston valve :wink:
elitesniper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 pm

i think you forgot the equalization hole :wink:
markieclarkie
Private 3
Private 3

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Re. E.Q. Hole. Since it's at a right angle, is'nt that gonna be kind of a bitch to drill?
boilingleadbath
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 am

There is a equalization hole; it's the green hole labeled "[diameter] .031"

It's hard to see in the frontal view, because the cross hairs obscure it.

And yeah, I'm being a very bad drafter and dimensioning a hidden line. I was lazy and didn't want to draw up an entire new view just so I could label the stinking 1/32" hole.

And no, it should be easy to drill:
1) Precision placement isn't required
2) You can just drill it in from the rear of the piston, which should be quite easy.

And, eh, I'm pretty sure that this is a barrel sealing valve.

However, if one where to drill the EQ hole down the center of the piston (which would require a 1/32" bit a good deal longer than "jobbers"), it could be used in a chamber-sealing fashion.