Friends gun blows up- vid

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
nabu92
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 pm

My friends gun blows up right in front of me and I only have one thing to say...ROFL!!!!!!!!!! That had to be the funniest thing ever. His fittings were leaking so we replaced them the other day, I told him to wait 24 hours for the glue to dry but he thought 20 hours would be long enough....so we pumped it up to 50 psi and boom lol.

Oh I almost forgot, here's the vid.

Be careful with these things, they can kill you!

Edit: Blew up as in the fitting cracked and the chamber flew about 10 yards through the bushes.
Last edited by nabu92 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Dont post it on youtube it makes our hobbie look worse than it already does.
I couldnt tell in the video but you probably used dwv.Or you didnt solvent weld correctly and it just blew apart give us a discription on how it blew up.
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Alright I usually am a big advocate of safety and a strong opponent of unsafe building practices... but that was hiliarious :lol:
elitesniper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:45 pm

yeah bigbob is right if you primer and cemented correctly that would never have happened and I dont think there is anything to 'ROFL' about what if your friend got seriously injured?
nabu92
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm

elitesniper wrote:yeah bigbob is right if you primer and cemented correctly that would never have happened and I dont think there is anything to 'ROFL' about what if your friend got seriously injured?
If my friend got injured I'd quit this hobby.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Lucky he wasn't seriously hurt, but I'm sure he'll treat pressure with a bit more respect in future.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
bigbob12345
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 pm

After watching the video a couple more time and freezing it when it blew I confirmed that the pipe just blew away from the fitting.
I recomend you read this and tell your friend to do the same
http://www.burntlatke.com/weld.html
Its a great tutorial on solvent welding its what I followed when I first started.It looks you did use pressure rated pipe so thumbs up to that.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:20 am

If it failed like that at 50 psi, it wasn't the slightly short 20 hour wait that was the problem.
Given you mentioned that the fittings were previously leaking, and looking at the way it fails, I'd say the problem was that the cementing wasn't done properly in the first place. Was it done with primer and cement?

This isn't really a laughing matter, there is potentially real danger if that happens. A similar thing nearly happened to me, back when I was using the poor PVC supplies around my house. I had something that was supposed to be combined primer and cement, but it never worked, joints leaked, etc.

Eventually I got fed up, araldited the loose joint back together, squirted superglue into all the leaks, then just built my next cannon out of copper and compression fittings, with a spring loaded ball valve.

After that, well, I stuck with copper, cause it never actually gave me any trouble.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
nabu92
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:00 am

my pneumatic goes up to 120 psi (never went over that) and my fittings never leak, he used my primer and glue to fix his gun but I guess he did it wrong.

And thanks for the site bob.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight...
he used my primer and glue to fix his gun but I guess he did it wrong.
To fix his gun? He didn't screw up the solvent welding and try again with the same pipe and fittings, did he? Because if he did, the source of your problem has become very clear all of a sudden :roll:
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
nabu92
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

DYI wrote:Wait a minute. Let me get this straight...
he used my primer and glue to fix his gun but I guess he did it wrong.
To fix his gun? He didn't screw up the solvent welding and try again with the same pipe and fittings, did he? Because if he did, the source of your problem has become very clear all of a sudden :roll:
Nah he bought all new fittings, sawed off the old ones
MrCrowley

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Well he still can't prime and glue for sh|t then, unless the fittings weren't pressure rated.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Well if that's the case, I'd say that the problem is just a matter of poor solvent welding technique. Possible causes of failure would be improper primer application, improper glue application, not pushing the fitting all the way into the socket, not twisting the fitting as you push it into the socket, using DWV fittings, or not using proper primer/glue. At only 50 psi, I doubt that being down 4 hours of curing time would cause a fitting to detach.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:13 pm

DYI wrote:At only 50 psi, I doubt that being down 4 hours of curing time would cause a fitting to detach.
I by no means recommend what I am about to say, but I would think that it would possibly hold 50 psi on JUST 4 hours of curing time.

Nobody should get impatient and do such a thing, it's just stupid, but 50 psi is hardly on the upper extreme of what good PVC cementing is capable of handling.

24 hours is a time where you can be sure it's reasonably safe. In all truth, the curing process probably largely finished up a few hours ago, but to be on the safe side, we recommend following the 24 hour guidelines. 20 hours is probably just as good as 24, but if you do decide to be silly and cut the time a couple of hours because I said it was probably all right - bear in mind, I didn't say you should do it, so don't come crying to me if it explodes.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
nabu92
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:49 pm

DYI wrote:Well if that's the case, I'd say that the problem is just a matter of poor solvent welding technique. Possible causes of failure would be improper primer application, improper glue application, not pushing the fitting all the way into the socket, not twisting the fitting as you push it into the socket, using DWV fittings, or not using proper primer/glue. At only 50 psi, I doubt that being down 4 hours of curing time would cause a fitting to detach.
hmm, he glued over the paint on the pipe, maybe thats why, and yes the fittings were dwv