Pressure at the muzzle when projectile leaves?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:18 pm

Solar wrote:So this is considered a stripper instead of a brake due to its purpose?
Essentially. It's an air stripper when its primary purpose is to strip the muzzle blast in the interests of accuracy, a muzzle brake when its primary purpose is to reduce recoil.
Is the bore size consistent with the barrel bore?
Not quite sure what you mean there.
If you're asking if the "bore" of the air stripper is around the calibre, pretty much. It's a little bigger, but as close as is feasible.
psycix wrote:Doesn't a big porting suffice or are the gases too slow to vent out?
Porting alone might suffice (it's shown good results for me in the past), but while I could settle for "just suffice", I'd sooner have overkill than underkill - each projectile I'm sending downrange is going to be pretty costly in both time and money, so I'd rather not waste that with being needlessly measly.

After all, why just use porting when for little extra effort I can combine that with an air stripper, and get the benefits of both?
Brian the brain wrote:We'll see what it does when Rag presents the cannon..and ammo... I hope it's soon.
I won't lie, it's not going to be soon. This a long term project that demands a whole load of resources - space, time, effort and money.

While most of the "paper" side of design is done or close to complete leaving the practical stages (first preliminary testing, then after that's taken into account, the actual "range day"), it would be stupid to move on to those (and their expense) without things like the venue already sorted.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, places where one can safely and discretely send high velocity AP darts flying a quarter mile are not entirely easy to come by. When I've got a confirmed site, then I'll start looking at spending the time/money on what will probably largely boil down to a one-off "long range day".
(I suppose if the UKSGC meet ever gets together, that'd be a possible time for all of that to happen.)

Still, without my laptop, the design is on hold anyway - not to mention, I've got other things on my timetable for a while anyway.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Pookydarts
Private 4
Private 4
Australia

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:24 am

not to mention, I've got other things on my timetable for a while anyway.
Ah! Women! What a wonderfully complicated, expensive and frustrating way to not get spudguns built! :lol: :lol:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:47 am

Pookydarts wrote:Ah! Women! What a wonderfully complicated, expensive and frustrating way to not get spudguns built! :lol: :lol:
I think you'll find he's referring to touring with his new age christian rock band :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Pookydarts
Private 4
Private 4
Australia

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:19 am

ROFLOLAITALBOWCO
(RollongOnFloorLaughingOutLoudAndIThinkALittleBitOfWeeCameOut...)

OMG Unless you were being serious... I'm so embarrassed... :oops:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:16 am

Any excuse to repost this :D

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:23 am

hey they've got girls there!! of course they could be prettier but I found that paper bags help a lot :D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Pookydarts
Private 4
Private 4
Australia

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:24 am

Yep,
That's the one I was laughing about!
Edit...(Who's the one on the left...) :lol:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:48 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:hey they've got girls there!! of course they could be prettier but I found that paper bags help a lot :D
They're Christians, don't bother ;)
Pookydarts
Private 4
Private 4
Australia

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:55 am

They go the hardest! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Edit) Back on topic: Why would one want to penetrate a relatively small 1/2 inch steel plate at 300 yards? :?
(Edit #2) The 2nd from right looks like he already penetrated the 1/2" steel plate! :D
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:47 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:hey they've got girls there!! of course they could be prettier but I found that paper bags help a lot
I'll spare you the carnage that would befall you if I passed that information on.
Pookydarts wrote:Who's the one on the left...
Even if I did tell you, you wouldn't know who it was.

~~~~~

And no, what I'm spending my time on is nothing as socially "normal" as relationships. It's far more nerdy.

There's a wargaming tournament in about four weeks which I'm hoping to make an appearance at, and it's going to take quite a lot of effort on my part to both make said appearance and a decent performance.

~~~~~
Pookydarts wrote:Back on topic: Why would one want to penetrate a relatively small 1/2 inch steel plate at 300 yards?
It's hardly on topic, the discussion of my long range project is itself not part of the original discussion.

Anyway, it's 400 metres (~440 yards). And, well - why not? Accuracy at ranges of hundreds of metres is as of yet, an area which spudgunning has left (largely) unexplored.
Much of spudgunning is focused on improving internal ballistics*, with most attempts to improve external and terminal ballistics being little more than afterthought. To break out of that, I set myself an objective where all the three areas were important.

*If, of course, the builder decides to follow a more inventive route than just making the cannon big to produce the required power.
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 am

Yes, I have found that accuracy is about the whole package of ballistic zones combined into what becomes the final outcome.

Yes, I was referring to the air stripper bore size. I have a feeling that I am going to be doing a lot of barrel port style for awhile. We will have some nice rounds soon for high tolerance testing.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:04 pm

Solar wrote:Yes, I have found that accuracy is about the whole package of ballistic zones combined into what becomes the final outcome.
Pretty much, although terminal ballistics is only really part of accuracy when it means you make compromises on the external ballistics (like with hollow-point bullets).
I have a feeling that I am going to be doing a lot of barrel port style for awhile.
Well, if you want to, feel free to talk to me about external ballistics. I'm not exactly a master, but it's a subject I've studied avidly for the last few years.