My Second Generation Piston Valve cannon

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Mr. Gadget, welcome to the good old spudding community. I applaud your efforts with this launcher. You've done your research, obviously came into the field with some experience, and have achieved a very attractive build.

I have never thought to use felt on a piston. I imagine it is adhesive backed.

Overall, I must say I think I may find myself duplicating your design as I find it both ergonomic and attractive. Though given my adherence to woodworking, I may just have to fiddle with some adornments.

Congratulations on the grammar. Not enough people exercise it these days.
so many muchness
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu May 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Felt will glue to wood with a strong bond if wood (Elmers) glue is used to bond it.
Mr.Gadget
Private
Private

Fri May 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Gaderelguitarist,
I am a nuts and bolt guy. I am more interested in if something works, more than how it looks. For you and your wood working skills, I would love to see what adornments you would add.
What better complement could a person recieve, than to be duplicated, or copied. Feel free to copy my design. I only ask that if you do, try and add something out of creativity.
Have fun.
BearMan
Private
Private

Sun May 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Keep in mind I am brand new here..... I have a couple of newb questions......

Trying to understand how this works.... Is the other end of the sprinkler valve open.... the exhaust? Is it just dumping pressure to allow the valve to move backward?

What size is the main T the piston slides in?

What is the length and travel of the piston? I would like to make something similar but can't quite get it in my head.....

Thanks in advance,

Barry
BearMan
Private
Private

Sun May 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Is this a similar valve/piston system?

http://gbcannon.com/projects/launchers/gbv.html
Mr.Gadget
Private
Private

Sun May 16, 2010 10:11 pm

Very similar.
Is that one yours?
I personally did not find it nessesary to get that complex with the piston. I use press on sticky back felt. it gave me a decent seal, and eliminated lube. The hardest part was pealing the paper off of the back of the felt.
Simple, and still functioning perfectly.
BearMan
Private
Private

Mon May 17, 2010 7:36 am

Mr Gadget,

Thanks.... No that is another one with some description that I wanted to use to help understand yours more. Yours is WAY easier to build from the looks of it.

Is yours using a 2" slip/slip tee?

What size is the piston?

Barry
Mr.Gadget
Private
Private

Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm

This Cannon, spawned from the ease of parts that already fit together.
Yes it is 2" slip/slip T. The the barrel side, it has a 2" to 1-1/5 slip bushing, cut out the lip inside to allow the barrel to go all the way through.
Then on the 1-1/2 inner barrel, the is a 1-1/2 to 2" adaper to get a 2" barrel back on it.

On the back side with the valve, it has a 2" slip to thread, with a 2" inch piece inside to hold the two together, and provide the housing for the barrel. This is the best part. A 1-1/4 slip/slip coupling fits GREAT!!!! And only requires the outright low tech press on felt. (The 1-1/4 coupling also works great in the 2" barrel as a projectile :lol: ) The piston housing requires sanding on the inside with a high grit sandpaper to make it silky smooth. for the semi auto feature to work at its best... I used 3000 grit. Still much easier than grooving for seals.

I hope you have a good time building one. It was easy, and still works perfectly, I might be somewhere around 300 shots now. I lost track, but man this thing does it's job time after time!!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Mr.Gadget wrote:This Cannon, spawned from the ease of parts that already fit together.
Yes it is 2" slip/slip T. The the barrel side, it has a 2" to 1-1/5 slip bushing, cut out the lip inside to allow the barrel to go all the way through.
Then on the 1-1/2 inner barrel, the is a 1-1/2 to 2" adaper to get a 2" barrel back on it.

On the back side with the valve, it has a 2" slip to thread, with a 2" inch piece inside to hold the two together, and provide the housing for the barrel.
You mean piston, don't want to be confusing the man :D
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
BearMan
Private
Private

Wed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Last edited by BearMan on Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearMan
Private
Private

Wed May 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Mr Gadget,

THANKS..... I was getting there eventually.... I really appreciate the details. Really helped the process. Will let you know how things go.....

Thanks again,

Barry
Mr.Gadget
Private
Private

Wed May 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Gun Freak wrote:
Mr.Gadget wrote:This Cannon, spawned from the ease of parts that already fit together.

On the back side with the valve, it has a 2" slip to thread, with a 2" inch piece inside to hold the two together, and provide the housing for the barrel.
You mean piston, don't want to be confusing the man :D

LOL!!!!!
:) Yes, that was correct, I did meen the piston. Thank you for the correction. Confusion would be that last thing we need. It just gernerates more questions. Thanks again.
Ya'll know how it goes. Long day at work, kids want dinner. And I am now creating a trip wire land mine. Paintball of course. A.D.D. It is a curse I love.