Supah-Valve

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
someguy314
Private
Private

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:48 pm

This may be a simple question for many people out there on Spudfiles and you might even think I'm dumb(I understand if you do). But I just can't figure out how the supah-valve from SGTC works? I found pics and some info on the Wiki but I still can't understand it.

Here is the link to the pics. http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... upah-Valve
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Well is a basic chamber sealing valve, some linked you to a animation of one working in your last topic I believe, if not just do a quick search, theres plenty of threads explaining them
That is all.
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:56 pm

check.....wiki.....it explains it.

Also, check the stickies in the pneumatic discussion section. Look for the one that explains piston valves.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Note the biggest difference between the Spuah and Mauler is one is a chamber sealer and the other is a barrel sealer.

You can tell the basic difference by looking at where the chamber connects to the piston. Chamber sealer has the face of the piston pressing against the chamber. Barrel sealer has the face of the piston pressing against the barrel.

A chamber sealer requires a faster larger pilot for speed. They almost always use a sprinkler valve or other large pilot valve. A barrel sealer can be fast with a smaller pilot valve. Coaxials are always barrel sealers as the piston face seals the barrel..
someguy314
Private
Private

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I already know how a piston valve works and the different types of piston valves. I have looked at the animation many times. I have also looked already on the wiki like I said but all it has was pics and a small bit of info that didn't help me much.

The question I was asking wasn't what type of valve it was or how the type of valve works? I just wanted to know how this can work since as you can see in the pic below the piston is on a rod and it also has a spring inbetween the piston and the other thing ,I don't know what its called.
[/img]
Attachments
003.jpg
003.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

I think the spring is a built in bumper.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
someguy314
Private
Private

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Gun Freak wrote:I think the spring is a built in bumper.
Can you tell me what exactly is a bumper?
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm

It is a component on a piston valve that softens the piston's landing so it doesn't break the valve. In this case, the spring absorbs some of the shock so less force goes to the back of the valve, if it even is a bumper. I'm pretty sure that's what is it though.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
someguy314
Private
Private

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Gun Freak wrote:It is a component on a piston valve that softens the piston's landing so it doesn't break the valve. In this case, the spring absorbs some of the shock so less force goes to the back of the valve, if it even is a bumper. I'm pretty sure that's what is it though.
Ah I see. Cool well that answers my question thanks! I guess this post is closed. I don't know how to do that but oh well. Thanks again! :D
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm

This particular valve and piston function nearly identical to a chamber-sealing sprinkler valve. The rod acts as a guide for the piston and is fixed to the back cap. The piston fits around the guide rod, allowing it to pass through the piston. It also serves as an equalization hole for the chamber, that is, it allows air to pass in between the gap of the rod and the piston.

The spring, in this case, not only acts as a makeshift bumper, but also allows the piston to seat much easier.

The Sprinkler Valve (in the Hubb Library) will explain these types of valves in much more detail.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Hubb wrote:The spring, in this case, not only acts as a makeshift bumper, but also allows the piston to seat much easier.
I think you'll find that a damp sock or a small kitten would count as a makeshift bumper, a coil spring on a coaxial rod is actually quite professional :P :wink:
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 pm

...small kitten... :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Single use only ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Ranger
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

I prefer them as projectiles :D they go a fair distance and ALWAYS land on their feet :lol:
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:22 am

Be careful using them as projectiles. It may be against the forum rules discussing it, especially if they are still living. I don't know if dead ones always land on their feet. I don't have any at the moment for testing.

Relax guys.. I would never launch a kitten living or dead. A stuffed toy perhaps.