Mine Challenge - New Pics With trip wire mine.

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Davidvaini wrote:Alright guys, here is an animation of what im going to create here soon...
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/tripmineanimation.swf/

The trip wire is pulled, the support piece gets pulled with it and the spring tension is released causing the grey piece to slam down on the co2 cartridge.. there is a sharp point at the bottom that the co2 rests on.. once the gray peice (bolt in my case) is slammed into the co2, it lets out the co2.. it goes up and out the T.. the T can be hooked up to anything..
Alrght guys, the other night I made a prototype of this design, I only had 1 pvc cap and I decided on using a Nail as the piercer. Well that was a big mistake.. I used a pretty heavy spring as I wanted the thing to pierce.. well it knocked the nail loose after the first shot.

The first shot did pierce the co2 and it shot out the co2 perfectly.

Next revision will either be a screw or something perhaps a "bay" where I can replace piercers.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:47 am

UPDATE

I took some epoxy and put it around the cap that has the nail in it.. to keep it firmly in place and did a test run tonight.. worked 4 out of 4 times.

I will try to take some pictures and video tomorrow of the thing in action.
ThegunGuy
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:09 am

That was weird, I opened up the link and looked at the clock while it loaded spent five minutes on that, thought it was two seconds.
I like to fill in the lines. edit: figured out how to link stuff.
The only thing I would change is the trip on the tripwire. I think it should be like this bottom right corner on page two sorry couldn't get the pic on the forum. but other that that it looks great.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:40 am

ThegunGuy wrote:That was weird, I opened up the link and looked at the clock while it loaded spent five minutes on that, thought it was two seconds.
I like to fill in the lines. edit: figured out how to link stuff.
The only thing I would change is the trip on the tripwire. I think it should be like this bottom right corner on page two sorry couldn't get the pic on the forum. but other that that it looks great.
I'm not a fan of the pin system because if the trip wire is pulled the wrong way the pin can get jammed inside, causing the person to trip and fall, or not actually pull out..

The system I have in my animation there is actually just a piece of wood or something to hold it up.. a brace of some kind.

That way it can be pulled from any direction without getting jammed.
ThegunGuy
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Then try a piece of pipe with a section cut out just slightly smaller than the pusher rod (sorry don't know what its called) to help it not missfire.

I wonder why the army uses the pin system for all of their tripwire things then?
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:42 pm

ThegunGuy wrote:Then try a piece of pipe with a section cut out just slightly smaller than the pusher rod (sorry don't know what its called) to help it not missfire.

I wonder why the army uses the pin system for all of their tripwire things then?

Pins only jam on rare occasions, say 3 out of 10 times.. better have it jam on rare occasions then have it more dangerous to setup.

I however want it to work every time because the chance of someone encountering my mine inst the highest, so I want the highest success rate possible. I have enough confidence in myself to set this kind of mine up.. and even if it does go off when I'm setting it up.. its not an explosive or anything...

So for an Airsoft or Paintball mine, I prefer this setup to a pin setup.

UPDATE:

Last night, I was playing around with the Mine again and I was quite tired and I didn't realize I put the co2 cartridge in the wrong way..(I had the tip of the co2 cartridge facing up towards the plunger..) i set it up and pulled the string and nothing happened.. I was kind of disappointed in to why it wasn't working all of a sudden after working 8 times in a row..

Well I opened it up to find the co2 cartridge upside down and it bent the nail completely sideways...

So now I have to build a new mine device as the first prototype I didn't have the cap with the nail removable(threaded cap).

Now all the problems I have run into with this mine are very very simple mistakes that are easy to fix and after I have all the kinks worked out, I will write up a how to guide on making one of these.
SEAKING9006
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 pm

What the hell, I'll enter. I've already been thinking up a modular mine/bomb system for a while. I saw a PIR sensor at radioshack that interested me, but I need to get one and put it on an oscilloscope to see if I can just hardwire it. Otherwise, I can just use an electronic tripwire as well as command detonation.

On a related note, my grenade prototype is STILL sitting on my floor, barely finished. I could always just throw it together and test it.
Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:55 pm

sounds great, yeah I have been thinking about hooking up a PIR sensor to a sprinkler valve for a while..
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Alright guys, here is the first prototype:

Animation of the design:

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/tripmineanimation.swf/

picture of design:

The trip wire is pulled, the support piece gets pulled with it and the spring tension is released causing the grey piece to slam down on the co2 cartridge.. there is a sharp point at the bottom that the co2 rests on.. once the gray peice (bolt in my case) is slammed into the co2, it lets out the co2.. it goes up and out the T.. the T can be hooked up to anything..

Pics

Video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Materials/Cost:

Item | Cost
----------------------

3/4 Male Plug - .49
2 pack 3/8 x 6" hexbolt .99
SPRING - unknown
24 pack of 3/8 Nuts 1.59
3/4 female adapter - .44
3/4x3/4x1/2 PVC T - .42
1/2 female adapter -.37
1/2 mpt x swing elb .49
1/2" 5 foot pipe .99
3/4" 5 foot pipe 1.19
3/4" cap .35
-----------------------------
7.97 before 5.5% sales tax
8.41 after tax

After the first mine, they are:

3/4 Male Plug - .49
SPRING - uknown
3/4 female adapter - .44
3/4x3/4x1/2 PVC T - .42
1/2 female adapter -.37
1/2 mpt x swing elb .49
3/4" cap .35
------------------------------
2.56 before 5.5% sales tax
2.70 after tax

All items were purchased at Menards except for the spring, which had lying around. I need to find similar springs in order to put a price.
SEAKING9006
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Well done mate. Now try and find a good way to use it and lets see it in action.
Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:59 am

Nice, I'd like to see a vid of it firing with a full capsule.

Did you keep CO2 freezing and pressure spike issues in mind with that PVC?
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 am

David: Good job, but there is an immediate safety concern I see. You need a pin block of some sort. If you pull that spring back and it slips, you probably won't like the results. I used a simple pullpin on my bounding mine. I remove it once the trigger is set.

And, I don't know if you have seen it or not, but DVLCHLD has duplicated the pressure activated master mine. His stands just a little over 4" tall and has a 4.5" pressure plate. I've built several and they are, by far, the best pressure activated mines I've ever used. Total cost is around $5 per unit to build.

[youtube][/youtube]

I've also posted PDF documents of the tripwire Master Mine as well. You should check those out. They are what inspired my bounding mine.

Oh, and if you need any assistance, please feel free to ask. If I can't help directly, I'm almost certain I can get you pointed in the right direction.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone else:
In case you haven't seen my latest project, it is currently posted on the A5OG:

http://www.a5og.net/alternative-weapons ... -mine.html

It has the same triggering system David uses in his mine. The biggest difference is that mine needs to control the pressure of the chamber to be able to launch the grenade into the air, which means that I've had a lot of bugs to get worked out. I do believe that I've got most of them worked out, and a final result can be posted sometime after Christmas.
ssgnort
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 am

Here is a trip wire mine I made up acouple of years ago. Mostly 3/4 pipe an fittings. Breech opening is made of 1 inch female and cap with a 3/4 section inside for spring gidance. An a 1 inch male to 3/4 adapter, Springs an all material i found at home depot. Plunger head is a 12 gram co2 end i cut off a spent canister.
Attachments
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0013.JPG (30.7 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0010.JPG (33.55 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
sumguy
Recruit
Recruit

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello, I am new to this board and this thread immediately caught my attention.
I love Airsoft and mines are sometimes very useful for securing areas.

Here are two little ideas I had on how to build mines. One is spring powered and the other one uses a small co2 capsule. Instead of flour I chose water for the co2 powered one.

Excuse my bad english I am from germany. :oops:
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 am

Update

Well it is winter here in wisconsin again and with every winter, I get bored inside and I want to start building things.

I decided to touch back with this project to see if I could get the reliability of the design increased, and make the design shorter and smaller. Well after playing around the other night, I was able to make the design smaller. I noticed something about the pins I was using. The nails were tough enough for a while, but they would slowly pop out over time and dull. I tried a screw, but it was a really cheap aluminum screw that just dulled right away. The spring pressure on this mine was too strong, so I decided I needed a weaker spring and a sharper more stable pin.

So I went with a stainless steel self drilling screw. I went with the smallest in diameter I could find. The next thing I did was I purchased an assortment of springs from menards to find which one would be the best. I finally found one that seemed to be strong enough and worked well with the screw I chose. The screw went kind of wide however right away so it didnt make a deep enough hole in the co2 cartridge. So I decided to file away one side of the self drilling bit and that increased reliability a lot.

I will continue to test until I find the best most reliable pin/spring setup.

The great thing about this design, is that you could replace the "support beam" or sear with a wider peice of metal. This would make it so that you could pull the safety pin out, and toss the "mine" into a room, once it lands, it will pop the sear out and cause the mine to go off, esentially turning it into a safe airsoft grenade. (in theory)

of course I am not gonna let it just be theory, I am going to attempt a bunch of these things the next time I get the chance.