Co Axial idea. *Update-Video*

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Teflon
Private
Private

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Hiya spudders

So i had an idea today for a coax pistol that has a single balanced spool valve that also acts as the loading bolt.
I attempted to design it as simple as possible, the bolt should snap all the way back to a stopper in the stock, allowing you to reload and push the bolt forward again.

CoAx.JPG
CoAx.JPG (13.81 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

Let me know what you think
Last edited by Teflon on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

That should work just fine, your pump needs a check valve though.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 am

Me like it.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Teflon
Private
Private

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am

The intended build will most likely be a single stroke, cause single stroke is the bomb, obviously the scale is quite off.

I also just wanted to mention that the gap in the barrel (at the point the spool valve seals) is 4 small holes in the tube, not just a gap.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 am

It can be a gap just make sure the projectile won't fall through it
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 am

In larger sizes the gap can allow the front o-ring to expand and go over the end resulting in launching the projectile and ring. Been there and done that. If it is above 1 inch and over 60 PSI, you will want a ported design to keep the o-ring in place. Looks like a breech loading QDV to me.

Please be aware when fired, the pressur in the front of the valve pushes the projectile with the same force it pushes the valve. You will want something robust to prevent shooting the valve into spectators behind you. :roll: I had a failure on my ABS cannon and launched the valve into my foot once.

If you want a faster valve, search the forums for QDV valves. Making the spool small, light and free to slide on the trigger rod will make them open with air pressure much faster than it could be opened by hand. Check the links in my SIG for more info.

What a high speed apple will do.
Last edited by Technician1002 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm

:roll: I had a failure on my ABS cannon and launched the valve into my foot once.
Sorry about your foot :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:32 am

Technician1002 wrote:Please be aware when fired, the pressur in the front of the valve pushes the projectile with the same force it pushes the valve. You will want something robust to prevent shooting the valve into spectators behind you. :roll: I had a failure on my ABS cannon and launched the valve into my foot once.
Wise words, a cautionary tale of a near miss I once had.
The intended build will most likely be a single stroke, cause single stroke is the bomb
Not if you're expecting much in the way of power... what are your performance goals for this project?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Teflon
Private
Private

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 am

JSR
For this particular project, a small pistol for my girlfriend to shoot bb's through paper targets with a cloth backstop.

I've all but finished it now, but its leaking :( i had to epoxy 2 joints together to seal them because i didnt get the threading quite right

by the way... http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/07/ ... le-dragon/

I believe this is getting close to the practical limit of power from a single stroke pneumatic rifle.

ps.
Pictures will follow
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:16 am

Teflon wrote:JSR
For this particular project, a small pistol for my girlfriend to shoot bb's through paper targets with a cloth backstop.
In this case a single stroke should do... though you don't want your girlfriend getting used to single strokes ;)
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/07/ ... le-dragon/

I believe this is getting close to the practical limit of power from a single stroke pneumatic rifle.
That's the example I mention every time:

http://www.spudfiles.com/pneumatic-cann ... er#p362287

http://www.spudfiles.com/pneumatic-cann ... er#p355117

http://www.spudfiles.com/offtopic-relat ... er#p274477

http://www.spudfiles.com/offtopic-relat ... er#p129039
Teflon
Private
Private

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi all

A quick picture of what I've got so far.

Please ignore; The poor lighting, the rubber-bands, the messy desk, and my crotch.
IMAG0584.jpg

Ps. i completely forgot to allow extra room at the back for the breech.. so this model will either be a muzzle loader, or i just might make the extra effort to sleeve and extend the back, and make a new longer spool valve

Pss. it might not appear so in this photo, but their is adequate wood behind the spool to act as a backstop.

Psss. i also should note that the chamber volume is much smaller then it appears, i have 2 double o-ringed aluminium plugs, sealing each end of the chamber, their quite long and take up the majority of chamber that you can see.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:02 am

That's looking pretty nifty! Will you be finishing the wood?
Teflon
Private
Private

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Indeed i will be finishing the wood, perhaps even replacing it with something a bit nicer then pine. although i definitely want to keep the weight as low as possible, its probably under 250g currently.

Im having issues with sealing so far, i mostly attribute this to incorrectly sized o-rings on the valve, the smallest ones i have are too big, so i sanded them down on the lathe... i figured i should have floating o-rings, so i tried them on but it leaked like a cholera patients butt hole. no idea why... ill try and get some better photos this evening.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 am

Teflon wrote:i figured i should have floating o-rings, so i tried them on but it leaked like a cholera patients butt hole.
That was a mental image I could have done without :) but yeah, getting the ideal size for o-rings is a pain. There are plenty of good reference guides to help you out though, here's one of them: http://www.sealdynamics.com/o-ring-reference.pdf
Teflon
Private
Private

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 am

OK

So i managed to get it all sealing properly, found some suitable o-rings.

got it all cleaned up and shes shooting very nicely indeed, quite a bit more power then i had anticipated.
i sure as hell wouldn't want to be hit with this thing.
1.JPG
trigger bit
trigger bit