full auto detent

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I had the very problem I feared... filling pilot side through a 1/8" paintball QD, I turned on the tank. with the lowest flow, I got a steady popping every second or two, so I turned it up and air just hissed out the pop-off :(

It seems filling chamber side is the only way to fix this

:EDIT:
I figured out the problem! it was the adjustable pop-off, so now with a standard pop-off I'm getting the DAKKA DAKKA I wanted

I do have another question though, what size ball bearings would fit well in 1/2" SCH 80 PVC, 1/2" bearings were too small
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 am

Sweet, video please!

What's the internal diameter of your barrel?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 am

I don't have a barrel or feed setup yet, but I would like to use 1/2" bearings. I have yet to find a pipe with an OD close to .5 though...
I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

:BUMP:
bumping for pictures of the setup sans loading mech, the "barrel" currently attached is filled mainly with steel wool and acts as a silencer to quiet the DAKKA DAKKA. I feed un-regged CO2 through the small QD at the bottom of the tee

Who woulda thought that a full auto gun could be cheaper than a semi auto? It turns out this way because I didn't have to buy a DCV, a paintball regulator, or an air ram (I know an air-ram is not a must, but I would've built a semi with one)
I love lamp
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow... Looks amazing dude... Is that a schrader on the back? And what pressure pop off it is?
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks, this is just a preview of whats to come :wink:

The pop-off is set at 125, but I have one set at 90, and another at 200. A quick note of pop-offs: never use adjustable pop-offs for full auto, they don't work. Yes, that is a schrader, I need to get a proper elbow so I can ditch the tee. The schrader is just a plug
I love lamp
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Shame the pilot is so big... You could use a male tee with a regular elbow to the pop off, that could lower the pilot volume a bit... is the 200 psi pop-off standard? Looking forward to the loading mech... :)
OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:00 pm

The pilot volume is teetering one the larger side, but the pop-off has proven its uncanny ability to pilot valves with much larger pilot volumes; larger QEVs, SVs, and even homemade valves. I don't get what you means by "standard" sorry. The loading mech won't be much to look at; a sten style mag and a detent
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 am

Glad it's working well, and I agree it can afford some cleaning up. A word about pilot volume though, I found that making the pilot volume too small could actually not provide sufficient air for the safety valve to "pop" effectively, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:50 am

I would like to add a more comfertable trigger, along with a high pressure needle valve. The detent should also be cured tomorrow afternoon, so check in here later for some major progress or epic fail
I love lamp
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:I don't get what you means by "standard" sorry.
Non-adjustable.
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:43 pm

The detent failed miserably, I'm looking into other alternatives now. Please give me any ideas or links to good technical examples if you can, thanks
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 am

How did it fail exactly, multiple feeds?
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 am

It was an adjustable ball detent, but it either double-fed horribly or chopped up paintballs in the breech. I worked on it a while, but I couldn't find a sweet spot[/list]
I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 pm

After the failure of the detent, I've thought up a simple BFB. Basically what I've got here is a standard 3/4" CPVC tee, pipe, and male adaptor. The actual BFB os a cast epoxy piston with a 1/2" hole drilled through the center. A screw is put across the hole to both increase SA and to hold the extension spring

Hope its clear for ya
I love lamp