" Old Shatterhand" 5 shot mag now cycling on vid.

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:09 am

I was thinking, instead of a hammer, using a solid steel rod, attacked to a spring, so instead of having the hammer move through an arc and strike the valve, it will move in a straight line and strike the valve. I want to do it this way because i want the hammer mechanism to fit inside my stock, as well as be cocked using a horizontal pull, like modern day rifles.
Then go for it.No diagram of mine would be useful though.
Give it a few years
Yes..I hope to be as pretty as that in a few..
But I'll have to do with what I got now..
I think you'll find it's the spongy bit filling with fluid that givs your bolt its strength
It depends ...your picture is not working...for me..
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Marco321
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Brian the brain wrote: Then go for it.No diagram of mine would be useful though.
My tools I have are a bench grinder, dremmel and then an array of hand tools. My gun will be say a max pressure of like 100psi (basically due to sound considerations since in I'm Australia). 

My main problem is the sear system, I have one worked out, but I'm worried about shear and normal forces acting on the axle of the components. But since I'm only reaching 100psi and the push button is about 4mm in diamter, I don't think the spring has to be super strong? The hammer will be a metal pipe filled with epoxy, and the front will be faced with a washer and bolt. The back will have a hole bored into it for the guiding rod. The spring will go on the guiding rod, and the back of the rod will have a washer to brace the spring.
Brian the brain wrote:
I think you'll find it's the spongy bit filling with fluid that givs your bolt its strength
It depends ...your picture is not working...for me..
Hahahha speak for yourself :p
Failure to plan is planning to fail.

The 7 P's - Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
poppamies
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:47 am

what kind of fill valve do you got on this? very cool gun! thinking to built one bullpup version
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:26 pm

I just use a male QD on the outside of the endcap and a safety pop-off on the inside of the same threads.
I adjusted the pop-off to open at very low pressure differential.

Yesterday I finished a new barrel for this one. I found 35 ballbearings ( hard steel!) with a diameter of exactly 16 mm wich just wouldn't fit the old one.

Upside is I could do some things differently now.
The barrel is 15 cm longer than the ( sleeved) old one.
I no longer sleeved it because I simply polished the aluminium barrel for looks.
So the frontheavy-ness is mostly gone too as the sleeve was a big factor.

I also prepared the breech to accept magazine fed action.
This tubemag, currently under construction will run aside the barrel on the left side of the gun.
So it will be...cocking the hammer *while slipping my hands onto the bolt *handle..click clack..and boom!
Repeat if necessary
I also added some rubber rings around the bolt to make the action quieter ( bumper) and keep some pressure on the bolt in sealed position so it won't open accidentally.The rubber washer helps to keep it locked.It is not envolved in the actual seal.

So...it's all details now..
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Brian the brain wrote:I just use a male QD on the outside of the endcap and a safety pop-off on the inside of the same threads.
I adjusted the pop-off to open at very low pressure differential.
Ha ha. You say that as if it were a typical feature on any pneumatic. Yea its only just a really sexy repeater that i made *yawns*. Hmm looks like the bolt needs some polishing. Break out the toothpaste! Ever try a shotgun load in this gun?
Yeah, it's that important.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

pickies no workies on first page again. Could you post a diagram of the bolt with the air input and the future input from the tube mag.

Good luck with the tube mag!
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 pm

I found 35 ballbearings ( hard steel!) with a diameter of exactly 16 mm wich just wouldn't fit the old one
it would be a better idea to check the price of 16mm BBs first
these things get quite expensive with size
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I plan to reuse them.Well...as much as possible.
It will still accept marbles..Just need to sort them out for the mag to work properly.

I got 35 brianthebrainings...I mean...ballbearings for 3.50 euro.

Furthermore..I don't shoot any of my guns very often.
Most are just testshots, the rest is to put on video or to demonstrate.

They might last a couple of years.

I tried bb buckshot on this thing, it wasn't vey interesting..just left a hole...and half of an empty ( pricey) can of bb's.
All were deformed.
Gun Freak wrote:

Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:09 pm

UPDATE!
( 2K-post!!)
Detachable 5 shot magazine is working!
I still have to finish it, smoothen some of the corners..that kinda stuff.

But amazingly it works! I couldn't figure out how to mount it...but things just started to happen so to speak.
It is held firmly in place by a bracket with some rubber to keep it holding on tight.

The only spring I had that could do the job regretfully could only be used to load 5 balls.
With one in the " chamber" this means I can still do all of the good shots...before power goes down too much.
I can slip off the mag easily and just breechload by hand.

Oh BtW..do you like the new barrel? Seems a bit cleaner...
I like it the way it is now.
Attachments
Until recently I've mostly shown the hammer side of the gun..now this side has some interesting features of it's own..
Until recently I've mostly shown the hammer side of the gun..now this side has some interesting features of it's own..
A little peek from a different angle.<br />Tried to keep it as low profile as possible.It might need a small brass ornament to &amp;quot; break&amp;quot; the squared look though.<br />You can see a small portion of the hammer over on the right side..I can now cock it and work the bolt in a single move..and get up to 6 shots in a short timeframe.
A little peek from a different angle.
Tried to keep it as low profile as possible.It might need a small brass ornament to &quot; break&quot; the squared look though.
You can see a small portion of the hammer over on the right side..I can now cock it and work the bolt in a single move..and get up to 6 shots in a short timeframe.
so proud right now..Notice the rubber washers on the bolt wich help to keep it locked and work as a bumper for the action.
so proud right now..Notice the rubber washers on the bolt wich help to keep it locked and work as a bumper for the action.
You can see the marble inside wich is glued to the magspring.The only way to push out the last BB.<br />The bracket slides in between the barrel and chamber and locks in position between the black sideplates of the body.
You can see the marble inside wich is glued to the magspring.The only way to push out the last BB.
The bracket slides in between the barrel and chamber and locks in position between the black sideplates of the body.
Last edited by Brian the brain on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Freak wrote:

POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:29 pm

that's a very clever magazine
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:45 am

n-i-i-i-i-ce, video of the bolt + magazine being cycled?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:12 am

First I will add another small bracket so the tip can't move away from the breech.Some type of thing on the body itself for the mag to slide into..

It can wobble a bit now and I don't want it to. A simple fix, but I still need to do it.

And..I really need to fire it if I want more than one cycle...
That will require me to go someplace safe..
Don't want to upset the neighbours. ( 42 bar now remember!).
Can't shoot it at work since we've moved to a brand new building.. :oops:

They will notice the impacts in the wall now...

Oh..I got a nice leather sling for it today...Slightly decorated..I'll see if I can attach it in an aestethic way...
Gun Freak wrote:

dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Brian; Very impressive work.
That is a masterpiece of art, design and workmanship!

It is one of my all time favorite pneumatic launchers!
Keep up the excellent ideas and creativity.
CpTn_lAw
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 pm

It really is a true beauty! I'm amazed !! I mean, this thing is eye-candy AND it's functionnal!
"J'mets mes pieds où j'veux, et c'est souvent dans la gueule."
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm impressed.

One question however... how did we reach November 11th (as per the topic title)?

I know you're an hour ahead of me, but that wouldn't even quite put you into November 9th.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?