6mm pipe in Australia?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 am

I know there are a few Australians on this forum, so hopefully someone else has come across this problem before.

I went to Bunnings looking for some 5/16" pipe, apparently they don't stock anything under 1/2. I then contacted Reece plumbing hoping they'd be able to stock it, they said no, and advised that I contact a place called "heatcraft" who don't seem to have it either (and are overpriced anyway).

Does anyone know where I can find some 6mm (ID) pipe in Sydney, or that ships here?

I've heard that 6mm brake line works well, but I've pulled blanks with that as well. Google has also failed me. :(
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 am

Your local model/hobby/RC shop should stock lengths of brass/aluminium/carbon fibre tubing, and chances are they will have something with 6mm I/D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 am

Yeah, I forgot to mention I checked with them as well, they have aluminium, but only 5.5 and 6.5mm id, and not in the lengths I need. :(

I didn't think 5/16" copper would be so scarce.
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 am

i get the stuff from toy world, not sure if there got 6mm but it would be your best bet
why make it if it dosent shoot?
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 am

try a mechanic i think brake line come in that size, where in aus are you
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 am

Out in west Sydney mate, the only 6mm brake line I could find wasn't hard drawn, the soft stuff is rather useless for a barrel..

I've been looking at buying one of these if I can't find anything, but I'm sure it'll be expensive.
ilovefire
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 am

yes that would be expensive, and you wont get it, just a letter saying that your breached the importing laws and so on, as i said before try toy world
why make it if it dosent shoot?
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 am

I'm skeptical about Toy World, but I'll check it out tomorrow, there's nothing useful about it on their website.

'eh, I wasn't aware that barrels were against customs regulations, that's a pretty silly law.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 am

if arrow shafts aren't regulated, these would be perfect.
12 Fiberglass Target Practice Arrows Shaft DIY NEW

each bid for 1 dozen shafts

outer diameter:8mm

inner diameter:6mm

length:760mm
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:56 am

Hm, I'd have never thought of using arrow shafts. Will they be okay under pressure? I'd be a little worried about putting 400 psi into a fibreglass tube that's not necessarily pressure rated..
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:38 am

For such a small diameter it's highly unlikely to shatter at "only" 400 psi, besides as you're using it as a barrel it will never be subjected to the full chamber pressure, not to mention it's only a brief pressure spike as opposed to what a chamber would have to contain.

If that doesn't convince you, you can always sleeve it with another tube, doesn't have to be exact as you can fill the gap with epoxy.
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 am

Sounds good, I've just bought those, I've got pretty much every diameter of copper pipe up to 1" (except 5/16" ironically), so I'm sure I'll find something to sleeve it with.

Thanks JSR, you've helped me out a few times here now, do let me know if you're ever in the area, I owe you at least a beer. :D
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:09 am

yea iw as just ganna say try arrows, in vic you just have to be 18 to get a bow and arrow not sure about sydney
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
r00kie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 am

I'm not sure either, I know customs won't stop them as one of my friends brought some back with him from Bali last time he visited.

He paid $5 for a handcrafted bow with arrows so he figured he'd try his luck with customs, it's hanging on his wall at home now.

He also bought a blow gun for a similar amount, but customs wouldn't let him take that back. More silly laws..
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 am

r00kie wrote:I'm not sure either, I know customs won't stop them as one of my friends brought some back with him from Bali last time he visited.

He paid $5 for a handcrafted bow with arrows so he figured he'd try his luck with customs, it's hanging on his wall at home now.

He also bought a blow gun for a similar amount, but customs wouldn't let him take that back. More silly laws..
Customs, I'm not so sure of. I have friends who've returned with bb guns and the like from bali in particular, but I can testify that if you try bring something in by post you probably WILL get caught. I ordered plastic airsoft bb's, and asked the seller to mark them as slingshot ammo. They either recognized them to be airsoft ammo or he didn't mark them. Considering those are in essence plastic beads, you will get caught for a barrel. You wont get prosecuted, but you'll get sent a stern letter telling you that your items have been forfeited to the crown and further violations will result in prosecution. I know this from experience.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun