Good projects for new members

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Xenophile
Private 2
Private 2
United States of America

Sat May 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi! I've stumbled upon this site after my searches for pneumatic pvc air cannon designs. I have some pvc pipe rated at up to 600 psi and a pretty good ball valve that I intend to make into an airsoft gun. What designs would be good for a new member like me to try and construct? I would love to build a BBMG but I am not sure what aditional parts are required or where I can find plans. Are there any simpler projects like a shotgun or rifle that would be good for new members to attempt? Any help would be grealty appreciated. I love this site and I hope to see more of it in the future. Thanks for the help/your time.
Xenophile.
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat May 07, 2011 11:26 pm

If it's PVC, no matter what it says do not use it near 600 psi, just because it says that, does not mean it's safe. I never go past 100 psi. I would just make a simple gun, a small chamber, ball valve and barrelnto get the hang of things.
That is all.
hi
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat May 07, 2011 11:48 pm

I assume you found yourself some 1/2'' pvc. Keep it around 150 psi or so. It is only going to be as good as your solvent welds.

The easiest air gun to build it end cap, pipe, ball valve, pipe.
"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
shiny455
Private 3
Private 3

Sat May 07, 2011 11:55 pm

bbmg is very easy. a cloud bbmg is nearly as easy as what you plan on doing
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sat May 07, 2011 11:57 pm

The reason for no high pressure in PVC is due to the safety issue when it breaks with LOTS of stored energy in compressed gas. PVC is not rated for compressed air use at any pressure. The pressure rating is for liquids only.

It may hold together, but you don't want to be anywhere near it if it fails.

Having a dozen sticks of dynamite in the trunk of your car is also relatively safe, unless you have a wreck or a stray bullet hits it. For safety reasons, I don't recommend high pressure in PVC or storing explosives in the trunk. If something does go wrong, it won't be pretty.

A while ago I linked to a youtube video of a small air cannon which blew off a pipe cap and put a hole in the roof of the shop.
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Xenophile
Private 2
Private 2
United States of America

Sun May 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you for your concern guys, but I was not planning on using it past 100-150 psi. I simply stated that it was pressure rated so you guys could tell it would be safe to use for high pressure applications as opposed to non-pressure rated pipe would could explode with dangerous shrapnel. How is it that a BBMG would be easy to build? Do you have any links to some plans? Thanks again.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun May 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Clicky:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php?title=BBMG

This is the spudfiles wiki on BBMGs. If you have a decent air comressor and $10-20, you can build a fairly good one.
Basically all a 'cloud' style bbmg consists of is a small ball valve or blowgun, a 1.5" section of pvc full of BBs, and a barrel the same diameter as the BBs.

You should look around the wiki (there's a link at the top of the page). Most of us do not actually use, make, or give out "plans" except for advanced designs where text in not descriptive enough.
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sun May 08, 2011 3:02 pm

A cloud is just a small chamber and a barrel attached to the front. A vortex is just a method of feeding bbs into the barrel.
That is all.
Xenophile
Private 2
Private 2
United States of America

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Alright guys! I have completed my first air cannon which operates using a ball valve as a trigger and a shraeder valve to feed air into the compression chamber. It fires airsoft bbs at high velocities ( I lack a chronograph so I don't know the exact speed) as well as small "rocket gliders" which I have constructed out of cardboard and duct tape that shoot well over 100 feet when operating at 100 psi. I have decided to begin construction on a new cannon which will be an inline vortex BBMG. I was wondering if you guys knew of any good sites to buy compact air compressors for its use. I have all of the other construction details worked out except for how I will add air into the cannon.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm

You can buy air compressors new online, but beware- shipping will be high.
You'll need at least a 5 gallon tank if you want more than 5 seconds of firing.

Alternatively, you could buy from a local source. Harbor freight or home depot works if you're in a hurry, but do not buy any cheapo "oil-less" compressors; they don't last long. You could look for good deals on ebay or craigslist that you could pick up locally, but you should drop by to make sure the items haven't been abused before you actually fork over the cash.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 pm

I'd go for one of those little compressors from home depot or lowes that cost like $125... But you might be able to find a better deal (eBay/craigslist).
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!