JSR's awsum xbow airgun

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 pm

JSR, I lately noticed your cool crossbow that works in the same way (well almost) than the spring piston airguns, I'm gonna make a same type of airgun, and im still thinking about how the seal should be made. Im asking that would a o ring made of leather work. i'd make it so that ill cut the o shape of a leather piece, then make a hole in the middle of cut out leather, so it'd be a leather o ring. because rubber and stuff may have too much friction, and also how would i be able to make as light as possible piston/plunger and in the picture below in the link there reads:Rubber seal replaced by glue soaked wad of cotton wool. In what glue was it soaked?
Also sorry for the long post. sorry also if im juvenile again :violent1: :banghead:

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/files/cb3_908.jpg

edit1:
Hey and would be nice if u would repair your xbow cuz its really cool and i'd like to see it in action if u would make a video. just saying...

edit2:
and how does the plunger move forward
Last edited by iloveairguns on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 pm

iloveairguns wrote:Rubber seal replaced by glue soaked wad of cotton wool. In what glue was it soaked?
Back in the day, I was limited in my construction techniques... a few years later, i would have just cast it out of epoxy.

A leather washer would work well, it's how spring airguns used to seal back in the day.

If alternatively you want some custom parts made and have some spare cash,you know where to look ;)
and how does the plunger move forward
ummm... the bow pushes it?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 am

haha lol my question yeah it was a weird question, so there's a screw with a eye in its end to hold the string?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:07 am

iloveairguns wrote:so there's a screw with a eye in its end to hold the string?
Yup, as noted in the diagram you linked to:

For the record, there are commercial variants: http://www.airowgun.com/pellet.php

Personally, I think it makes more sense to use an airgun powerplant to shoot arrows than bows to shoot airgun projectiles.

pedant ;)

http://www.seidler-waffen.at/arcus.html

Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 am

Personally, I think it makes more sense to...
Well in that case, I think you should fire the archer and his bow, then let him take the shot whilst in flight. :lol:

Those Arcus arrowstars are pretty cool, I'll have a read once I've handed in the work for today's deadline :)
The arrows aren't rear loading are they? that would be neat.
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am

so the airowgun works the same way as yours JSR?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:20 am

al-xg wrote:The arrows aren't rear loading are they? that would be neat.
I don't think so, according to google translate:
The operation is easy and safe: In the handle is a powerful 16-gram CO2 cartridge screwed. Then you put an arrow into the barrel bore of the gun until it locks into the interlock. By pressing the securing a loading lever is released. If these short depresses, CO2 gas flows at a pressure of about 60 from the gas cartridge in the firing chamber. The Arrow Star is now ready to fire.
I'm wondering if it is a "valveless" design actually - ie that bit at the end of the arrow is held in place by some sort of clamp, which keeps the pressure from firing it at the moment of release. It's an Austrian design after all so it would definitely be in their tradition.
iloveairguns wrote:so the airowgun works the same way as yours JSR?
Conceptually it's exactly the same.
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 am

so was your crossbow a bit underpowered (if it even was) because of the fact that the bow wasnt very strong or was it?
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 am

but looked info also on the airowgun, and the power looks nice, 600 fps...
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 am

If i understood correctly, when you press the safety or whatever the co2 runs to a chamber behind the arrow and the trigger press releases the arrow to be taken away with the co2... Basically quick connect at teh end of the arrow. Would be nice to test out though :D

Looks like i need to get some foster fittings :wink:
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 am

were talking about the jsr's crossbow airgun, lets not get derailed
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 am

Hey just noticed that the arcus guns look like the deus ex silenced pistol, if anyone has played deus ex
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 am

iloveairguns wrote:so was your crossbow a bit underpowered (if it even was) because of the fact that the bow wasnt very strong or was it?
Very low power, about the same as a cheap airsoft pistol.

If you're interested in making something similar, go ahead and save yourself some trouble by spending $25 onthis and use it as a basis for your conversion.
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

well was the low power because of the prod
iloveairguns
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

I actually have a cobra pistol crossbow