Wireless Electric Firing?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
NP Carling26
Private
Private

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 am

I am currently in the design phase for Spud Gun v2.0 and this time, I wanna be able ti fire it wireless from a distance. I've found that the internet is littered with 12 volt wireless relays, however, 24 volt ones are few and far in between, and 120 volt wireless relays are a bit expensive. Has anyone ever rigged up their electric sprinkler valve to operate remotely? If so, what did you use? Or otherwise, would the solenoid operate on only 12 volts, and what it affect the performance at all?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 am

MrC made a remote ignition system for his hybrid: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/how-to- ... 23560.html
NP Carling26 wrote:Or otherwise, would the solenoid operate on only 12 volts, and what it affect the performance at all?
It will operate on 9 volts, but obviously performance suffers. What you can do is use the electrically triggered solenoid valve to pilot another solenoid valve to get maximum bang for your buck.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:43 am

NP Carling26 wrote:I am currently in the design phase for Spud Gun v2.0 and this time, I wanna be able ti fire it wireless from a distance. I've found that the internet is littered with 12 volt wireless relays, however, 24 volt ones
I would recommend you check out my second remote ignition setup as it's more suited for this project:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... 102#362102

The LED controller I used can run on 12-24V and just requires the batteries to be connected to the input and your solenoid to the output. It comes with a remote that does the rest.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm

if you need more amps, just swap out the relays.

It has decent range, and is easy to setup. wires are labeled, even a dummy could do it.