more chamber volume = better?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
brettdotcom14
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 pm

If the chamber is bigger and you have a longer barrel will it shoot faster than a smaller chamber with smaller barrel?

Im trying to figure out how big to make my chamber

I dont want it to be too big that its awkward to hold but i want it big enough to be somewhat impressive. thats if size matters. id also like decent accuracy. pretty much a well rounded cannon. any suggestions?

Ill be using 4" for the chamber and shooting tennis balls
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Most definitely, up to a point... As you approach the speed of sound, pneumatics sort of reach their limit of muzzle velocity (although there are some cases where a pneumatic may have exceeded the speed of sound).

I would recommend downloadingGGDTand playing around with it.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I definately recommend GGDT. As chamber size increases, the power increases but in a diminishing return fashion so after a certain size bigger makes little change. The barrel can actually be too big and start to lose performance even with an infinate chamber size due to flow friction in the barrel.
Last edited by Technician1002 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 pm

ramses wrote:I would recommend downloadingGGDTand playing around with it.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life