triple asco valve cannon PROBLEM

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 am

I3IV wrote:So what do you guys think I should do to pilot? a 1" sprinkler valve?
The limiting factor in terms of flow is the diameter of the pilot tubing, so I don't think a sprinkler valve is the ideal solution here.
The problem with this new setup I see after digging around the forum is the QEVs can't be filled from A without some sort of modding. That means I cannot exhaust through P if my pilot air comes though A...? These are 1/8 QEVs, will the quck release I get from them compensate the bad flow?
I would fill through "P" to be honest, put a ball valve between the filling connection and the QEVs. Connect pump, open ball valve, fill, close ball valve, disconnect pump then open ball valve to fire.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
I3IV
Private
Private

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Does this pilot system look ok? I will block A with 1/8 end caps, to reduce pilot volume. The blue lines are there just to demonstrate, will connect 1/8 QEVs directly to tee. No poking hole required :o
defaultpilot.png
defaultpilot.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 am

I3IV wrote:Does this pilot system look ok?
Not quite, you have zero QEV advantage there - each "A" needs to be connected to the respective main valve pilot.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
I3IV
Private
Private

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
I3IV wrote:Does this pilot system look ok?
Not quite, you have zero QEV advantage there - each "A" needs to be connected to the respective main valve pilot.
jackssmirkingrevengeyou're right. I realized my mistake :D

How does this look? :bounce:
F5G5G7TGXXSDL0R.LARGE.jpg
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:14 am

I3IV wrote:How does this look?
That's how I would do it, no need for a spring on the QEVs, they don't take a lot of flow to seal up.
I3IV
Private
Private

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

https://media.giphy.com/media/j9Gj9uFYl ... /giphy.gif (hope the gif link works)

OK the pilot works! That's a shoe box with a pair of shoes inside about 2 feet away and at 100 psi. It's quite loud too :o The three 1/8 qevs trigger the 3 big valves and the 4th qev on the top trigger the three 1/8 qevs. After the shot I don't see much fog coming out though...I'm always under the impression that a powerful cannon will produce some fog...I understand the fog is excessive gas but I just love the effect. One more problem is the the grease gun hoses (3000 psi capability :roll: ) I have leaks between the tubing and the thin plastic covers. When pressurized the covers blow up like balloons and some of them exploded and pressure slowly drops :x I'm going to strip all of that cover and soak the hoses in construction silicone caulk...Do you think it will seal? I want to try shooting soda cans...I found these 2 pvc sizes 2.601" and 2.699" ID for barrel, which will fit soda cans better? and what's the best way to connect this barrel to my 2" double wye?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 am

Nice!
I3IV wrote:After the shot I don't see much fog coming out though...I'm always under the impression that a powerful cannon will produce some fog...I understand the fog is excessive gas but I just love the effect.
That "fog" is usually water in the air that has condensed inside the chamber due to the high pressure, so it's usually a sign of a poor water filter on your compressor ;)
One more problem is the the grease gun hoses (3000 psi capability :roll: ) I have leaks between the tubing and the thin plastic covers. When pressurized the covers blow up like balloons and some of them exploded and pressure slowly drops :x I'm going to strip all of that cover and soak the hoses in construction silicone caulk...Do you think it will seal?

This is a common problem as on a molecular level, air is finer than grease... not sure the caulk will solve the problem. Aren't you better off sourcing some proper hose made for compressed gas?
I3IV
Private
Private

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 am

Jack, how about compression fittings to replace the bad hoses? I will use the ones with 1/8 mnpt on 1 end and the other end is 1/4 tubing to up the flow. What would you recommend for the tubing material that can contain >500 psi? These valves seem like they can survive at higher pressure than I intended but I'm unable to find out if anyone has tried to go over 200 psi with them.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:01 am

I3IV wrote:Jack, how about compression fittings to replace the bad hoses? I will use the ones with 1/8 mnpt on 1 end and the other end is 1/4 tubing to up the flow. What would you recommend for the tubing material that can contain >500 psi?
That works, you can find 1/4" nylon tubing rated for 500 psi if you want to keep thinks flexible, if not copper tubing will also do the job.
These valves seem like they can survive at higher pressure than I intended but I'm unable to find out if anyone has tried to go over 200 psi with them.
Our man Dave pushed the boundaries by going to 600 psi, and he used copper tubing too. Note however that while these valves are designed with a safety factor in mind, it is not recommended to exceed it unless you accept the risks. In this case, the valve was being used at 4 times its rated pressure and probably very close to the limit of what it could take, personally I would certainly not be comfortable with that.