Starting a new build

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 am

Flounder wrote:I am at a loss for the required information for the valve information. I plan to use Mcmaster Carr part number 6646K23 That I have seen used for several builds on the forum all ready. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.
This should give you a very good approximation:
6646K23valvedata.png
6646K23valvedata.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Flounder
Private
Private

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am

Thank you for that information. I had to poke around to find how to change Flow Coef to Cv instead of %.

On to another question. Has anyone tried using a slide gate valve for a breech? I have found a few but they only have a 40 psi rating. I think that would be ok since I am running relatively low pressure in this thing, but I was hoping for input from the people who have been doing this a long time.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 am

should be okay, you still wanna make sure your ammo is ahead of the valve outlet while keeping the dead space to a minimum. a lot of designs like the coaxial gun in the website banner used built in ram rods to push ammo into the correct side pipe fittings

A lot of other breech designs incorporated these camlock fittitings which weren't exactly high pressure fittings either I'm sure a 40psi gate valve is at least as strong
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 am

Flounder wrote:Has anyone tried using a slide gate valve for a breech? I have found a few but they only have a 40 psi rating. I think that would be ok since I am running relatively low pressure in this thing
I can't think of any examples but you should be fine, peak pressure in the barrel is usually significantly less than the chamber pressure and in any case it only spikes for a moment. GGDT will actually give you an indication of barrel pressure if you select the correct Y axis on the graph bottom left.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Flounder
Private
Private

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:19 pm

using GGDT I came up with a peak of less than the 40 psi limit. I also sourced an old oxygen tank today for free while out at a paintball event. I may end up using that for my pressure chamber instead. Hope to have a firing unit next weekend and then start building the carriage for it the following week if my work schedule permits it.