Grappling Hook Launcher

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Fordas
Recruit
Recruit

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:18 pm

hey, just finished up the video on this a few mins ago.
as for the launcher it fires a 2kg grappling hook using a 3/4" QEV and a 1L firing tank at 300psi from an HPA bottle. the recoil of this thing is truly tremendous due to the weight of the projectile.
[youtube][/youtube]
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:43 am

Very nice the "spear hook" kicks like a horse! Take care of your shoulders :)
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 pm

nice work, would be a great tool for starting a rope swing.

sensible safety advice would say to never actually use a grappling hook for climbing, but I have to admit I haven't followed that advice 100% so I find leaving the rope in a double strand and tying a figure 8 knot every few feet is the best way to actually climb the rope. Also use the the least elastic/stretchy rope you can get a hold of, ideally if the hook fails it falls to the ground at a normal rate where you have a decent chance of dodging it if you pay attention, but if you have a stretchy rope like paracord the hook with "slingshot" itself directly at you and you won't have time to react.