Using solenoid as main valve.

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
MuntedKoala
Recruit
Recruit

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello,

I am planning a new Nerf build. I am thinking of using a solenoid similar to this. Just wondering if any of you have experience with those particular types of valves? Any recommendations?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-2-Way-N ... :rk:7:pf:0

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 am

I used a 3/8 valve with a manual trigger, it launches Nerf Rival 200' @ 140 psi
MKIII fin.jpg
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

Welcome to spudfiles!

The 1/8" port on that valve is tiny for most purposes, however if it's for NERF I assume you don't need massive amounts of power so it should do the trick provided you use a reasonably high pressure. If you let us know what kind of performance you're after (weight and velocity of the projectile, size of the finished launcher etc.) you'll get more specific advice.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MuntedKoala
Recruit
Recruit

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks for the heads up guys. Yeah, I don’t have too many specifics. I was just seeing if I was overlooking some major flaw in the plan. I appreciate the repsonses. Will get a design made up and will probably post it here for y’all :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:09 pm

I would highly recommend becoming familiar with Gas Gun Design Tool so you can know what parameters are going to give you the performance you need.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life