First ever pneumatic potato cannon

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
ToneTheDog
Recruit
Recruit

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:34 am

So I’ve wanted to get into building spud guns in the past and since I just got my first job I figured why not try and build one. Its one of those coaxial (?) ones with a piston in the back. Sadly its not really working. I dont think the chamber or barrel are the problem. And the valve in the back seems fine so I think its the piston but im not really sure to be honest. Just looking for any advice or help. (I will send pictures later im not hone right not)
Last edited by ToneTheDog on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Post some pics and specs, people are usually glad to help (or at least chime in with criticisms :) )
ToneTheDog
Recruit
Recruit

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Ok so im home now. The barrel is 2” and the chamber is 3”. The piston was just a mason jar filled with a 3” washer glued to it. My cousin helped me earlier. So when I had the piston in and he pumped aire into the cannon, the projectile we had used moved along the barrel which leads me to think its something to do with the piston. (im not too sure how to post images but i think i got it)

thanks for the warm welcome!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am

Welcome!
The piston was just a mason jar
oh.
...which leads me to think its something to do with the piston.
uh huh.

I don't think we need pictures, it's probably time to rethink your piston ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life