Can you make a pneumatic cannon shoot snowballs?

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
An0nim
Private
Private
Poland

Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:54 am

Winter is closer and closer so I want to spice up the classic snowball fights with a lil bit of scrambling. I've decided that a snowball artillery barrage from several dozen meters would be a fun thing (even on the receiving end of the barrel) but i don't know how to make the snowballs survive the acceleration. Does anybody have any experience with such things? I thought about using a foam sabot to held the snowball together but i don't know if it would work.
shwoseph
Private
Private
United States of America

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:41 pm

My feeling is that success would depend on the snow itself. With a dry snow it falls apart in my hands and I can't even make a snowball, but there's a certain consistency where it's wet and slushy enough to really hold together well. If I was trying to do this, I would start by experimenting with adding small amounts of water to some snow until I found that perfect consistency that holds together really well. Then I would make snowballs from it and carefully load them into a launcher with a barrel that is wider than the snowball. My concern would be that friction in the barrel could shatter the snowball. I would also be really careful not to let them freeze because I wouldn't want to be launching dangerous iceballs around my neighborhood.