The Beast - 10mm cal pneumatic rifle

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Without a doubt a very good idea. Today I tried something similar, based on this design, and it works very well. It is interesting because of the few necessary tools. I replaced the syringe with a resin piston with a ring. It was just a test, no weapon for now. In the future I will build a pneumatic weapon with this system, with the higher pressure that my refrigerator compressor can give me, and of a slightly larger caliber :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Interesting!

With the benefit of hindsight (and machine tools), If I had to make it again it would be something like this:

Minimum difference between the barrel o-ring and chamber o-ring diamters to avoid stress on the trigger, and an o-ring as opposed to a face seal to avoid having to press the seal against the barrel. I imagine this is what you did with your experiment if I understood correctly.

On a tangentially related note, this post has made me feel very old. A child born when I made the original project would now be almost a legal adult :roll:
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:41 pm

I tried the first version, the one with the front seal, something messy, but it works well. The second version, the one with two rings, I can build it without problems with resin, which is the same as the pistons that I made. I would safely support about 50 bar, it does it without problems in my autonomous hybrid, and there is no great temperature as an advantage. :bounce:
What I have noticed, is that it is instantaneous the opening of the barrel, I liked that. I only used a pressure of 90 psi, it was only a constructive proof of the concept.
I understand what it feels like to be a "legal adult" when you see works from the past. It happens the same to me when I analyze the diagrams of a couple of years ago nothing more ... Of course I am a child in this field, but I feel the same, an adult - child. :shock: :D