Sprinkler Valve Troubleshooting Guide

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Sorry about the double posts guys, ok as long as i know a little bit of air is going to come out of the blow gun , i should be building the rest of my gun soon

tell me if this sounds ok on how i modified my valve, i drilled and tapped a hole into the top of my valve(can't remember what size not very big) and put in a barbed fitting and put it into the threaded hold and just connected to hose to my blow gun, i don't like connecting the blowgun directly to my valve, fear someone might break it, good or bad idea what do you guys think?

Also i've heard of putting a small ball valve right before my blowgun? Should i do it or not? And does air ever come out of the female threads on the sprinkler valve? This is my first air cannon. I have built many combustion
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 am

For starters, check out the link below. In it is a video I put together of how a sprinkler valve works when being used in this manner. It should clear up the questions you have on how they function.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/the-spr ... 16786.html

On most of the valves I've modded (which are quite a few...), I normally separate the trigger valve from the sprinkler valve, mainly for convenience of trigger location, and it will all depend on the type of launcher I'm building. This can be done easily enough with an air hose.

As far as you wanting to place a ball valve in between your trigger valve and sprinkler valve, that is primarily done for safety purposes. It keeps the valve from firing until the "safety" is opened. As far as placement goes, you are correct. If you place the safety valve right next to the sprinkler valve, then run a hose, the pilot air could fill the hose and cause the valve to fire when the safety is opened. With the safety placed near the trigger, there will be minimal air dump from the pilot valve, which will usually not allow the valve to fire.

Performance wise: People will tell you that by adding the hose, the performance will suffer. While this is true, it is only visible through use of specialized equipment. The velocity drop from the muzzle will be minimal and you won't be able to notice it.
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Which way do i hook up the valve to my gun, i DONT HAVE A CLUE WHICH SIDE TO HOOK IT UP TOO?
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm

You can successfully modify the valve but have no idea on how to place it on a cannon? The PDF booklet in the link I provided will answer just about any question you could come up with concerning these valves. So can the wiki and the search feature of this site...
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Yea lol, i have the valve all done with my gun connected to it, but was not sure on which way to put the barrel or air chamber. But I was able to play with it for a bit and got it to work. I left my solenoid in to test my mini contraption and works fine. I know have pluged my solenoid hole with some epoxy , just have to connect the rest of the pieces and my gun will be complete,

YOU FELLOW SPUDDERS ARE SUCH A GREAT HELP! GLAD I'M GLAD I JOINED THE SITE EVERYTHING IS GREAT!

Ill put pics of my finished gun asap!
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

IM new to the game, I read and did as said, and my valve is still leaking out the barrel. I have gotten two different sprinkler valves, and both have the same problem..and other suggestions??? please help a struggling spudder!!
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Does it still have the spring in it? If so, then you punctured the diaphragm some how. If not, add one. I know it slows the opening speed, but if it seals it then so be it.
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:03 pm

yes it still has the spring, n e other suggestions??
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:09 pm

What pressure are you using it at? And does your diaphragm have any cuts in it? Apart from the one equalization hole?
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Wow stay on topic! I just deleted 2 pages of off topic postings and thats got to be a record.

This thread is for sprinkler valve trouble shooting and nothing but.

Stay on topic.

If your post got deleted it's because it had nothing to do with sprinkler valve issues.

Stay on topic.

Thread cleaned.
The6ftTallAZN
Recruit
Recruit

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place but would it be possible for a a sprinkler valve to operate with a 12g CO2 cartridge?
kljaques
Recruit
Recruit

Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm

My sprinkler zone 2 will not fire when I have it set on auto or manual timer. The only time zone 2 will fire is when I bleed out the line at the manifold. I've changed out bladder & ring, spring, solenoid and changed wires and re-wired the ground. I have no idea how to fix this, please help.

Thanks,

Kathy
mattyzip77
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm

kljaques wrote:My sprinkler zone 2 will not fire when I have it set on auto or manual timer. The only time zone 2 will fire is when I bleed out the line at the manifold. I've changed out bladder & ring, spring, solenoid and changed wires and re-wired the ground. I have no idea how to fix this, please help.

Thanks,

Kathy
We need pics to help you.....
Go Bruins!!!!
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Fri May 17, 2013 5:24 pm

What brand and model of controller and valves?

When you state bleed, are you referring to manual valve actuation?
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri May 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Um. I'm not entirely convinced Kathy is using a sprinkler valve for the same thing we use them for...

Kathy, I think you should check with the irrigation guy at Lowe's, Ace, or Home Depot.