Q's re: my 1st. attempt

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
teebone66
Private
Private

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:24 am

I've had a go at my first one and it has worked a few times thus far.
Any input re: the following greatly appreciated.
Ignition - Well I guess you get what you pay for. I used a $2.50 piezo lighter part. When it works it seems to make a pretty clear looking spark. Is a bigger one of these any better, like the BBQ ones?
Fuel - Could'nt get rubbing alcohol to work at all. Butane worked a few times but that's where I'm at with it. I'll get a syringe as per the posts I've read.
I'm hoping to get this one to work reliably before moving on and trying another.
When it did work it shot a cotton ear cleaner with considerable force which was very cool.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:47 am

teebone66 wrote:Ignition - Well I guess you get what you pay for. I used a $2.50 piezo lighter part. When it works it seems to make a pretty clear looking spark. Is a bigger one of these any better, like the BBQ ones?
A pîezo lighter is more than enough, make sure you have a spark gap of about 1/4 inch and you should be fine :)
Fuel - Could'nt get rubbing alcohol to work at all. Butane worked a few times but that's where I'm at with it. I'll get a syringe as per the posts I've read.
I'm hoping to get this one to work reliably before moving on and trying another.

Syringe fuelling FTW! Science is always a better idea than chance.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Gleedaniel13
Private 2
Private 2

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 am

Syringe fuelling FTW! Science is always a better idea than chance.
Because of that piezo lighter the much important of matches turned it into less. Both of them have advantages and disadvantages also. It just depends on the beholder on how to look at it. :)