What is this newbie doing wrong?

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Jim Beam
Private
Private

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi all:

Sorry if this question has been posted before. I used the search function but didn't see what I needed.

I've been having great fun for the past year with my first spray-n-pray cannon, it's very easy to get the right fuel/air mix (16"L x 4" dia. combustion chamber, 44"L, 1.5" dia. barrel).

So, I thought it would be smart to build a pistol that could shoot all the leftovers from the big gun. It has a 2" dia. x 5"L chamber with a 22"L x 3/4"dia. barrel. I tried to scale it down from the big one.

But, it just won't fire! I have a nice ~1/16" spark between 2 screws, I'm injecting propane at 3% to 10 % (the explosive range), but nothing is happening.

Any suggestions?
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Your assumed fuel mix is most likely incorrect. After a fail to fire, unscrew the chamber and try to light the contents with a lighter. If you get a flame that burns for a sec, the mix was way too rich. The edge of the gas cloud burns and continues to burn as the flame mixes in air into the space containing the rich mix. This is most likely the problem.

If it is too lean, it won't do anything and just act like air to a lighter.

It is really easy to get way too much fuel in small chambers.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 am

Technician1002 wrote:It is really easy to get way too much fuel in small chambers.
Indeed, you should consider syringe metering:

ImageImage

Another thing, try widening the spark gap. 3/16 would work better in my experience.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 am

i think you just but too much propane in there, try with little less :wink: