Grom rifle

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
NeoTheFox
Private
Private

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi guys, here is my first spud rifle. I made it using the remains from countryside home construction.
It fires well, but I have a problem - the cover of the blast chamber is always cracking after a few shoots - it happens because it is held by 2 bolts and metal frame, and bolts are tearing the cover apart. I want to enforce it somehow.

It is not painted yet, because of my chamber problems. And yes, there are calamps and other stuff under the tape.

It fires screws covered with tape.

What do you think?
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Cool fueling, but that hose connection is unspeakably hurting performance.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 am

I think I prefer the original Grom ;)

You don't need such a big chamber, and as Gun Freak pointed out, the way it's connected to the barrel is not the way to go for good performance.

Also, consider syringe fuelling :)

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by jrrdw on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed video.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
NeoTheFox
Private
Private

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for feedback, guys!
When you are saying hose connection, you mean pipes connected to each other, or the hose I used to connect combustion chamber and the pipe?
I can see, how having funnel at the end of combustion chamber would help, but I never thought it is SO important. I'll build a new one soon enough, using an old teapot as a chamber, so I want to do everything right this time.
And yes, about syringe fueling - I am using spray as a fuel, and there is no way I can use syringe :(
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 am

NeoTheFox wrote:Thanks for feedback, guys!
When you are saying hose connection, you mean pipes connected to each other, or the hose I used to connect combustion chamber and the pipe?
I can see, how having funnel at the end of combustion chamber would help, but I never thought it is SO important. I'll build a new one soon enough, using an old teapot as a chamber, so I want to do everything right this time.
It's got to do with how the fuel burns.

[youtube][/youtube]

That skinny pipe means that most of the energy is probably being wasted.

You should aim for a chamber that is short and fat, and if possible directly connected to the barrel.
And yes, about syringe fueling - I am using spray as a fuel, and there is no way I can use syringe :(
Yes you can! If you can't buy one from a Pharmacy in Moscow, then you could always try eBay ;)

Jimmy has an excellent page on how to use a syringe and cigarette lighter: http://www.inpharmix.com/jps/Fuel%20Met ... ghter.html
Last edited by jrrdw on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed video.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 am

To get an idea of what the hose does to your performance, Exhale as quickly as possibly through the paper core from a roll of paper towels. Blow a marshmallow out of it.

Now repeat the above task but use a drinking straw between you and the paper towel core.

Your hose does the same thing to your flow from your chamber to your barrel. The same chamber pressure you get blowing through the straw is the same pressure your chamber feels being restricted by the small hose. The pressure can't get out, so it breaks things.
NeoTheFox
Private
Private

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 am

Hi again guys, I followed your advices and removed hose connections, now I have a solid pipe coming from the chamber to the barrel. I also tried to reinforce the cover with a metal plank, but now the pressure bent metal corners of it. I then tries syringe fuelling with no luck, my calculations tells me I need 3 cm^2 of the propane, but even with twice as much gas it would not ignite (neither it will with less gas). However I figured out how to mod a lighter to fill the chamber, and now it fires even better, but it eats lighters very fast. Any idea why Propane fuelling failed? And thanks for advices I already took! :roll:
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Did you ensure you have the right mixture? ~4.2%. Beyond that, the more you add, the less powerful it'll be - until it won't ignite due to the lack of air (Too rich)

Also, just curious - how thick is that plate?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 pm

I could be that the large mouth of your chamber is allowing the gas to escape. Inject slowly, and with the syringe nozzle as close to the "bottom" of the chamber as possible.

Also, 3cm<sup>3</sup> sounds far too low for your chamber size. It looks like you have a volume greater than one litre from the photos, meaning you should be injecting at least 30cm<sup>3</sup>.

edit: units...
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeoTheFox
Private
Private

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am

The chamber's volume is 31cm^2, and the pipe is 2cm inner diameter, and 2,2cm outer diameter. When I decided to use syringe fuelling I sealed the cover, and made a small hole for fuelling.
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I could be that the large mouth of your chamber is allowing the gas to escape. Inject slowly, and with the syringe nozzle as close to the "bottom" of the chamber as possible.

Also, 3cm<sup>2</sup> sounds far too low for your chamber size. It looks like you have a volume greater than one litre from the photos, meaning you should be injecting at least 30cm<sup>2</sup>.
Should it not be 30cm^3 (30cc) or 30mL?
Maybe I am missing something here! :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm

dewey-1 wrote:Should it not be 30cm^3 (30cc) or 30mL?
Maybe I am missing something here! :)
I stand corrected :oops:

NeoTheFox, I'm pretty sure your chamber is much bigger than 31cm<sup>3</sup>... are you sure you calculated radius x radius x 3.142 x length?

http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/vol ... volume.php